How to remove smell of Murphy's from inside of kitchen cabinets

Old 04-16-09, 07:00 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I washed the insides of my kitchen cabinets with Murphy's oil soap, and now I can't get the smell of the Murphy's out of the cabinets.
The dishes and everything else comes out smelling of the cleaner.
I tried virtually everything . . can anyone suggest something other than, vinegar, baking soda, coffee and lots of repeated scrubbing with detergents. The shelves are beginning to bubble, and I'm afraid they will begin peeling.
Help . . my kitchen is only two years old.

Thanx

Old 04-16-09, 09:24 AM
D

Someone suggested denatured alcohol. Isn't this going to harm the finish of the shelves since they're some sort of laminated material?

Old 04-17-09, 10:35 AM
D
Removing smell of Murphy's from inside of kitchen cabinets

So, we removed the shelves. They are that pressed wood with the laminate top. I put them in the tub with a detergent cleaner, and they came out good. The only problem now is the box of the cabinet. There is still a smell there, and I'm open to any suggestions as to how to remove it.
Thanx . .

Old 04-20-09, 11:45 PM
How strong did you use the product? First i have heard of murphys oil soap doing that. i would leave the cabnets closed with baking soda or coffee grounds..change every few days. You could try misting the detergent cleaner on with a spray bottle and wiping up the best you can. I would change from using the oil soap in the future. Over time you will notice that an oily residue may build up...itself attracting more soil load.

Old 04-21-09, 10:52 AM
D
I measured the product per the instructions. The problem is that the shelves are that pressed board, and I guess once the liquid gets in there, it's hard to get out.
I do have the coffee grounds and baking soda on the shelves.
To be honest, the coffee does a much better job in the beginning, and then when the odor begins to dissipate, I put in the baking soda.
I should be buying stock in Arm and Hammer soon.
Thanx for the help . .

Old 04-21-09, 11:26 PM
pressboard is a pain..i would put shelf liners in to help keep it clean so you no longer have to clean the wood directly

Old 04-22-09, 06:17 AM
D
Thumbs up

Yes, I'm about to do that . . thanx for your help.

Old 06-15-09, 11:50 AM
B
Murphies smell

I know that this is a response to a older thread but have you tried putting in a pair of Odor Eaters ( the kind you put in your shoes) in the cabinet. They are made with activated charcoal and will absord some of the smell. There are also commercial odor eaters that come in small tubs ( like butter tubs) that are cheap and fairly good. Worked for me on another project that rresulted in some residual odor.Beer 4U2

Old 06-15-09, 12:45 PM
D
How to remove smell of Murphy's Oil Soap

Thanx for the tip Bob. We went ahead, and replaced the boxes of the cabinets. The wooden doors are ok . . no smell. So, it was just the insides. Smell is gone, and I got my kitchen back. YAY . . .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: