best way clean mildew above shower plastic (on paint)

Old 04-20-09, 08:00 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
best way clean mildew above shower plastic (on paint)

hello,

above the shower, in the painted wall area there is some ?mildew from the normal humidity.

I want to clean it, but i'm not sure about the best way. I don't think it's mold, but you never now and I don't want to do more harm than good so I figured I'd ask people who'd have a little more experience with this.

thanks.

Old 04-20-09, 02:13 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
1st thing you need to do is to remove the RH with a fan. If you have a fan a bigger unit might be needed. The fan should run at least 20 minutes after a shower. one part bleach to 10 parts water will kill and remove the mold. Let it stay wet for twenty minutes and then dry quickly.

Old 04-20-09, 04:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
As stated above, a bleach/water solution will remove the mildew.... and removing the moist are will help keep it from returning.

What type of paint is currently on the wall? Hopefully it's an enamel [any sheen] Flat latex has no place in a bath w/shower. A kitchen and bath enamel is formulated for the harsher conditions in the bath rm - also has extra mildewcide in the formula.

Old 04-20-09, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exhaust fan should be rated for a room size that is double the actual size of bathroom. It sounds like the paint maybe the wrong type for in a bathroom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: