Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

best way clean mildew above shower plastic (on paint)

MA

04-20-09, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)  
best way clean mildew above shower plastic (on paint)

hello,

above the shower, in the painted wall area there is some ?mildew from the normal humidity.

I want to clean it, but i'm not sure about the best way. I don't think it's mold, but you never now and I don't want to do more harm than good so I figured I'd ask people who'd have a little more experience with this.

thanks.

Sponsored Links

VA

04-20-09, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)  
1st thing you need to do is to remove the RH with a fan. If you have a fan a bigger unit might be needed. The fan should run at least 20 minutes after a shower. one part bleach to 10 parts water will kill and remove the mold. Let it stay wet for twenty minutes and then dry quickly.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-20-09, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)  
As stated above, a bleach/water solution will remove the mildew.... and removing the moist are will help keep it from returning.

What type of paint is currently on the wall? Hopefully it's an enamel [any sheen] Flat latex has no place in a bath w/shower. A kitchen and bath enamel is formulated for the harsher conditions in the bath rm - also has extra mildewcide in the formula.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

PA

04-20-09, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Exhaust fan should be rated for a room size that is double the actual size of bathroom. It sounds like the paint maybe the wrong type for in a bathroom.

Search this Thread