Leather or vinyl chair stains

Old 05-20-09, 12:13 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leather or vinyl chair stains

My office chair at work is a light bone color. I'm not sure if it is leather or a synthetic of some type. I wear dark pants everyday, and they have faded onto the seat of the chair. Does anyone know of anything that will remove that type of stain?
Thank you.
pjd50

Old 05-20-09, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Try an automotive leather and vinyl cleaner...although something as simple as KrudKutter (available at most home centers and hardware stores ) might work just as well. One of the best multipurpose cleaners I've ever used.

Old 05-25-09, 01:34 AM
sounds like a condition known as crocking were a dye transfers onto another surface from a dry condition and friction....most of the time this is not a cleanable situation...some of it may be soil load...but i think it may be a permanenet situation....ask for another chair if you company is easy going

Old 06-02-09, 10:46 PM
J
d-Limonene (a citrus rind derivative) is effective in dye-transfer removal. I've seen it on ebay for pretty cheap. It's safe for use on both finished leathers and vinyl, and it's low-tox. Alcohols are also effective against dye-transfer, though you'd need to be careful if your chair is really leather. The finish on it may be chemically sensitive to full-strength alcohols, such as denatured alcohol which is commonly available in hardware stores (typically ethanol mixed with methanol). You could test rubbing alcohol on the areas (70% Isopropanol, 30% water) as the water present in the mixture will lessen the chemical aggressiveness. Always test a small, inconspicuous area first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: