Cleaning old aluminum storm doors

Old 06-14-09, 02:08 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cleaning old aluminum storm doors

Hi,

Our home is, about 22 years old, and I would like to know the best way, to clean, the outside of aluminum storm doors.

There are black marks on the outside, and the white color smudges "off" onto your fingers, to the touch.

Is there a way to "clean" or "repair" this kind of general wear ?

Thank you very much !

Mike

Old 06-14-09, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The paint has just given up the ghost due to sun and weather exposure. You could try cleaning them real well with soap and water..and then possibly a car wax/cleaner. You'll see a lot of white on the rag for a while..but it will make it look better. Always told people ..treat your sun exposed storm door like your car..and it will last longer...not forever but longer.

Old 06-15-09, 08:03 AM
M
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
The paint has just given up the ghost due to sun and weather exposure. You could try cleaning them real well with soap and water..and then possibly a car wax/cleaner. You'll see a lot of white on the rag for a while..but it will make it look better. Always told people ..treat your sun exposed storm door like your car..and it will last longer...not forever but longer.
Thanks, very much...I'm going to give it a try, in a few days !

Old 06-19-09, 08:31 AM
M
Originally Posted by MikeLI View Post
Thanks, very much...I'm going to give it a try, in a few days !
Just letting you know, I tried it, and IT WAS A SUCCESS !

My wife and I cannot believe, how, much more, clean and vibrant the door is now !

I also tried it on the vinyl, home siding marks, and it was a success there too ! I left it on, a long while, and let the rain wash it off. Next, we plan on using it on our gutters !

This combination of the ZIP WAX CAR CLEANER (w/ TURTLE WAX), car waxer/cleaner, and "old-fashioned elbow grease", was very effective !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: