blueberry stains on hardwood floor

Old 07-05-09, 08:46 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I spilled blueberries on my hardwood floor, had to go to work and when I came home, there were stains. I don't want to make it worse and I have baking soda on top of the stains now. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Karen

Old 07-06-09, 05:09 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Tell me the flooring has been sealed and that it's not raw wood.

Old 07-06-09, 07:59 PM
M

It is not raw wood. This happened last night and I still have the baking soda over the stains- I haven't had a chance to address this and, again, I don't want to make it worse. I found the following on DIY. It is no longer a fresh fruit stain, but I thought it may be helpful:

Dark spots on wood floors are often the result of alkaline exposure, which were allowed to dry on the floor. To get rid of these spots, remove solvent based wax with mineral spirits. This is a flammable solvent so be very careful; have adequate ventilation, and be sure there is no spark or flame in the area.

Apply white vinegar to spots, leave it there for three or four minutes, and wipe dry with a clean cloth. Repeat this procedure, if necessary. If several applications of vinegar do not remove the spot, you might try a 4 percent oxalic acid solution. When using oxalic acid, read the label and observe all cautions. Oxalic acid is poisonous! If oxalic acid solution does not work, you should consider calling in a professional floor finisher. Scratches and small worn areas on wood floors can often be concealed by applying a small amount of wax with very fine steel wool to the floor. Apply the wax in the direction of the wood grain wherever possible and rub it in gently until the color blends with the floor. Wipe off any excess, then polish the area with a clean, dry cloth. Wax alone will work well for light to medium-colored floors.
Fresh Fruit Stains: Rub with a cloth dampened with a solution of detergent and warm water. If this is not effective and your floor is resilient tile, wood or cork, rub the stain with a cloth dampened in a solution of one tablespoon of oxalic acid (available at drugstores and hardware stores) and one pint of water

What do you think?

Thanks,
Karen

Old 07-07-09, 10:49 PM
you can try what you posted...i have found one older topical urethane sealed floors that you have to remove the paste wax and reapply...the newer polyurethane sealed floors shouldnt be effected...so im guessing the floors are urethane sealed?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: