Cleaning Dog Poo from Carpet

Old 08-17-09, 10:06 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Cleaning Dog Poo from Carpet

I hate people who let their dogs roam and crap in other peoples yards. Some time ago, I tracked some into my bedroom. Not much, not visible, but itís there. How long it was there before I noticed, I donít know. I lay on the floor there when I do stretching exercises, which Iíve not been good about doing, so no idea how long it was there before I noticed it. A couple of weeks ago, we rented a commercial carpet shampoo machine, and did the whole house, and it was the bedroom carpet dog poo that got me to do that. After the cleaning, the carpet seemed to smell ok, but now the smell is back stronger than ever. I can not lay on the carpet at all, and if you are paying attention when you walk into the room, you can smell it.

What can I do to get this smell out, short of replacing the carpet?

Old 08-17-09, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Having the carpet professionally cleaned and deoderized would be the best solution..

In the meantime and for cheap..I would try one of the enzyme based odor removers for pets. OUT! is one I've used and it seemed to work quite well. You should be able to find it at WallyWorld (WalMart) and various pet supply stores. There are other brands..thats just one I happen to have in the cabinet right now.

You need to follow the directions and it may reuire repeat applications.

Old 08-18-09, 03:17 PM
W
Thanks for the reply. No Wall Marts or pet stores around here, but local hardware store (Ace) might have something. Iíll have to see what they have. It is where we rented the rug shampooing rig. I thought shampooing the carpet would work. Sigh...

Old 08-18-09, 03:27 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
A pro is the right answer. My last dog died last fall and was a terror on the carpet for the last six months before he went. I wasn't about to have a pro out on a weekly basis, so I did this in the mean time:

Get a quality product for the material causing the stain (Ace probably has something). Follow the directions on the product for usage. Spray the stain and chemical with water to dilute everything and extract with a wet/dry vac. Spray with water again to further dilute the remaining material and extract again. Repeat until all that remains in the carpet is a little moisture.

Pain in the rear, but it works. The secret is you have to pull the stain material and chemical solvent out of the carpet. The pros can do this with their equipment but a rug doctor or wet/dry vac needs help.

Old 08-19-09, 10:45 AM
W
Thanks for the idea. That is what we might try. Itís more than just a spot in the rug, and it even seems to be spreading. Iíll see what Ace has.

Old 08-24-09, 01:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think the guys above hit it right on the head. Save yourself some money...hire a professional. My thoughts are the rented machine put a lot of water down...and didnt recovery it. So the smell is in the padding. During summer with the added humidity it could be causing the problem to wick into other areas of the surrounding carpet and padding. In this case....dont head to ace.. Hire a pro. Call around and ask questions...just dont go down the list in the phone book and get the cheapest.

Old 08-24-09, 02:14 PM
W
Thanks for the suggestion. I suppose the water from the rented machine could have drug the smell down to the padding. I hadnít thought of that, and that makes sense. The carpet smelled fine right after shampooing while it was still damp. This is a small town, and there is one carpet cleaner listed in the phone book, and two in the town 30 miles south. Itís just in the bedroom. No where else.

Old 08-24-09, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
most cleaners will have a min charge...not saying its the cheapest answer but i think by the time you rent another machine..plus what you have already done..you would be at that point

Old 08-25-09, 09:26 AM
W
Well, if itís soaked thru to the pad underneath, a pro or replacement of the carpet sounds like the two best options, or maybe ripping that part of the carpet up, and replacing the pad, which I probably wonít do. Carpet is in good shape, except for the smell which isnít really evident unless you are laying on the floor. Not sure when Iíll deal with this, but it does have to be done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: