Cleaning Old Bathtub

Old 09-02-09, 08:41 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Old Bathtub

I have an old 1950's American Standard cast iron, white procelain (or enamel) tub. It's in great shape structurally but has a few yellowish stains, which discolor the white. I've tried using regular cleaning agents and no results. I'm remodeling the bathroom now and would like to keep this tub...it's a great tub. I've read somewhere about using a mixture of salt and turpentine...but was leary to try.

I don't want to reglaze or paint the tub...I've known too many people who've done this only to have the tubs start peeling or cracking 6 to 8 months later...so that's out!

Has anyone out there dealt with this problems and have any suggestions for how to remove these discolorations??

Old 09-02-09, 08:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I would wait on additional confirmation on this, but you might try a pumice stick/stone. Works good on toilet bowl stains and such. Here's sample:

Pumie Pumice Scouring Stick

You can get like item at the big box stores for $4 or $5. You dampen it and then rub gently.

Old 09-02-09, 03:02 PM
S
Cleaning Old Bathtub

Don't think your suppose to use anything abrasive on these enamel or porcelain type surfaces, since it would scratch it.

Anyone else with any ideas?

Old 09-02-09, 03:35 PM
S
I've sold many a Pumie and they work.Pumice is extremely fine and isn't hard on glazed ceramics like a tub.If you looked at the link,it clearly says so.

There are also mild acid based products like Whink and Sink and Tub Jelly you could try.

Old 09-02-09, 05:29 PM
Goof-Off (xylene) is an amazing cleaner for that type of thing.
I would try a tiny spot somewhere with a Q-Tip, and see how it turns out first, but I've used it to clean practically everything under the sun, including a recent project with granite.
Very good stuff.

Old 09-07-09, 09:53 PM
i think a fine pumice should be ok...but since your remodeling the bathroom...why not refinish the tub? You can still keep the look and you can think of it as an investment in keeping it sealed up.

Old 10-01-09, 03:44 AM
H
Washing the dishes properly is important to ensure that no potential germ is left to spread dangerous disease. One needs accurate dip and ammonium based sanitizers. noadvertising..... has these sanitizers that are widely popular all over.

Last edited by Docduck; 10-08-09 at 09:17 PM. Reason: advertising

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: