Greasy Feeling Dust?

Old 09-05-09, 06:36 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Greasy Feeling Dust?

When you touch things in our finished basement, your fingers seem to feel funny, almost oily. There is no visible mold or odor and the house is only five years old. Do you think this is just normal and do you have any suggestions for how to find out? We do have a dehumidifier already down there to keep the moisture level down. Should we add an air-cleaner? I keep my scrapbooks and pictures in the basement because that is where I work on them. Do you think it is safe for them? Thanks, Barb

Old 09-07-09, 10:56 PM
I would suggest adding air movement to your basement. Sounds like the moisture that is there is being allowed to settle on your items. An exhaust fan or air cleaner should work. Keep in mind thou. An air cleaner usually has a carbon prefilter and a hepa filter. Carbon filters are pretty inexpensive...the hepa thou...will run you around 50 bucks. They suggest changing that twice a year or even quarterly depending on how bad it gets.

Old 09-09-09, 10:10 AM
A
Wow, I never thought about it being just humidity. I will try adding an air cleaner and try using some fans. Maybe I will turn the humidifier higher also. Thank you so much for the advice, I was really afraid it was some kind of mold or mildew.

Thanks!
Barb

Old 09-09-09, 11:22 PM
a good trick is to point the fans toward your dehumidfer...will help push mosituire to it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: