Cleaning Wooden Kitchen Cabinets

Old 12-06-09, 06:44 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Cleaning Wooden Kitchen Cabinets

What's the best way to remove greasy fingerprints from finished custom wooden kitchen cabinets. I'm concerned about using corrosive products that might remove the finish or damage the wood, and about the effects of soap and water.

Old 12-06-09, 07:29 PM
S
There are a number of products around that would work.Some are nationally available some regional or vendor specific.I'm in hardware retail and everybody has a favorite.

First thing to do though is wipe them down with mineral spirits.This will remove wax,grease,oils etc without damaging the finish.Once you've done that you'll have a much better idea what if anything else you might want to do.

Go to a hardware store where sales help can assist you.Just buying off the grocery or big box shelf is a gamble/experiment and in many of these products the active ingredients include mineral spirits.

Old 12-10-09, 05:47 AM
IMO if you can find it, Naphtha would be even better than mineral spirits. It dries faster and leaves less residue

Old 12-10-09, 09:49 AM
P
Smile woodstains

hi

I have used toothpaste to remove water stains on wood. Worth giving it a go. At worst you will have kitchen furniture with fresh breath!!

phil

Old 12-10-09, 03:18 PM
S
Note that Naptha is priced at 4 to 6 times that of Mineral Spirits.

Old 12-12-09, 07:44 AM
P
Thumbs up Removing Grease off Wooden Surfaces

Hi

lighter fuel is recommended for most wooden furniture.
If veneered or inlaid wooden flat surface apply talcom powder quite generously, cover with tissues and iron off. As withall tips you need to find a discreet area to try.

Woods and fabrics for that matter can all have undergone many different treatments and will react differently. The advice given is always for the norm but if you are anything like me, you wont be the norm.

Hope that was of some help

Phil

Old 12-13-09, 09:41 PM
I would try to keep awhile from alot of oil based products. Yes they are going to clean the best. BUT the pose addition risks of odor and flammability. A scrubbie pad will aid a quaility degreaser. The key to any cleaning project is frequency. If you clean the handle areas on a regular basis....that will help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: