Cloudy stain in Electric oven

Old 06-19-10, 04:44 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cloudy stain in Electric oven

Hi,

My wife and mother-in-law were cooking baked beans in our brand new GE Electric Oven and did not put any foil down for any spillage. Therefore, they created a mess! I was not a happy camper :-( This all happened while I was not home. Furthermore, Instead of cleaning the mess up quickly, they left the house and went out and my mother-in-law had the brillant idea of putting salt around the oven because she says it would help break up the stain and help the cleaning process. Now we have a cloudy stain inside the oven, which I am not sure if it was caused by the salting or not. Anyone, know how to get rid of the stain?

Thanks,

sweetboy

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-10, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I presume your new oven is self-cleaning, since most are nowadays. If it is, the self-cleaning cycle should remove any residue and stains. If you have a self-cleaning oven, you should know the interior finish is a special material and you should not use oven cleaners on it, as it may damage the self-cleaning abilities.

Check your owners manual to see what they recommend using
for oven cleaning. Also check the owner's manual for the use of foil at the bottom of the oven, as many manufacturers do not recommend using foil or other similar materials on the bottom of the oven.

Old 06-21-10, 01:08 PM
S
Unhappy

Thanks for the Reply! We did use the self cleaning cycle, which ran about 4-5 hrs and still we have the cloudy residue. I tried using vinegar to get rid of it to no avail. I would have liked them to put foil down on the pullout rack and then put the pan with the beans on the rack, so that if anything spilled over, it would be on the foil on the rack, which we could just easily discard with no mess.

sweetboy

Old 06-22-10, 12:51 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is the "residue" just a discoloration or does the stained surface feel different to the touch compared to the unstained portion of the oven?

I'm thinking perhaps it might take several cleaning cycles to totally eliminate all of the stain.

Most people with self cleaning ovens don't put down foil or anything to catch spills, since the cleaning cycle is supposed to take care of them, and the application of salt shouldn't have hurt anything, assuming the salt and loose portion of the spill were wiped up before starting the cleaning cycle. You might try contacting the manufacturer to see if they have any ideas, but I think the stain will gradually disappear as you perform more cleaning cycles in the future.

Old 06-22-10, 09:26 PM
i would try regular oven cleaner.....people tend to over rely on the self cleaning option..does sound like residue...wouldnt know why the salt would do any harm