Red Wine stain on a lacqer table st

Old 10-24-10, 01:58 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Red Wine stain on a lacqer table st

I did not notice a red wine stain on our beautiful lacquer table. The stain dried and cannot be cleaned with water. Any suggestions are welcome

Old 10-25-10, 09:54 PM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would just clean the stained area with bleach. If you're concerned that the bleach might harm the lacquer finish on the table, use bleach diluted with 10 parts water instead. It'll just take 10 times as long to work. Then wipe the residual bleach off the table with a damp sponge.

Last edited by stickshift; 10-26-10 at 05:39 AM. Reason: removed off-topic material
Old 10-26-10, 05:40 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Straight bleach is tough on the lungs, I never use more than a 50/50 mixture with water

I have no idea whether this will work or whether or will be safe on the finish, please proceed carefully if you try it

Old 10-26-10, 07:46 AM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Mitch:

Straight bleach can be real tough on the throat and lungs if you're using it to clean the walls and ceilings in a room with it. In that case you're breathing in a lot of the vapours for a long time.

You're throat and lungs aren't going to even be aware that you're using bleach if you're using it to clean a stain off a table. (Not unless the stain is as big as the table top, and your using straight bleach to clean both sides of the table top in a room not much bigger than the table itself.)

Martek:

Try using bleach (straight, a 50/50 mix with water, or a 10% solution of the stuff) on an inconspicuous spot on your lacquered table, such as near the top of the inside of one of your table legs. See if it does any harm to the lacquer in that spot before using it on the red wine stain. I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that the bleach (even if used straight right out of the jug) won't affect lacquer in any way.

The very definition of the word "lacquer" is a coating that forms a film by evaporation of the solvent alone. There can be no chemical reaction (as there is in concrete or oil based paints) in the film forming process of a "lacquer". Lacquer is removed with lacquer thinner, which is typically about 3/4 toluene. Since toluene is completely different from water and bleach, I'm willing to bet my dollars to yours or Mitch's donuts that bleach won't affect lacquer at all, even when used straight right out of the jug.

But, it's always good advice to proceed with caution no matter what you're doing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: