Removing candle wax stain from marble top on woodstove

Old 11-01-10, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing candle wax stain from marble top on woodstove

I have a woodstove that has a polished marble top on it.Last winter I placed on of those scented candles that come in a large jar on top
of the marble.The candle was only about half full,but boiled over and stained a portion of the marble.I went down to a local company that sells marble products and took the marble top with me.They looked it over and sold me a product from a company called "Miracle Sealants".
It is a liquid poultice non-acidic deep cleaner.I let it sit on the stain
for the recomended 40 minutes,but it did'nt do anything at all.Has anyone used this product before?Does anyone have any other rec-
omondations on how to remove this stain?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-10, 08:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need to know that candle wax can be coloured by adding pigments AND/OR dyes to the molten wax. If removing the wax did not remove the discolouration, then you had a dyed wax, and some of the dye is sticking to the marble.

I would use bleach straight out of the jug on that stain to break up the dye molecules.

If you're concerned about using a harsh chemical on the marble, test the dye on the marble in an inconspicuous spot. Bleach works by breaking down unstable molecules, which are generally organic molecules. Anything a coupla hundred million years old is pretty darn stable or it would have decomposed by now, and so bleach shouldn't affect it at all.