Outdoor furniture cleaned, NOW chalky reidue won't rinse!

Old 07-05-11, 03:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor furniture cleaned, NOW chalky reidue won't rinse!

Have some of that cheap, fake woodgrain vinyl (??) outdoor furniture, cleaned it with a little goo-gone (I know now....petroleum), then detergent and water. Now there's a chalky film that rubs off easily (white BTW). Can / will try pressure wash, but wanted to see if anyone knew an alternative that works?? ALSO.... my white house siding does the same thing (not quite as much), but didn't use anything (pressure washed 2 summers ago).

Old 07-06-11, 05:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
It's very common with paint that is exposed to sunlight. The elements deteriorate the paint. I didn't know it would also affect vinyl although it does affect older aluminum siding. It's possible the chalk on the wood grain is cleaner residue that didn't get rinsed off well.

Generally a thorough scrubbing with a detergent will remove the chalk. I'd try cleaning them with some TSP.

Old 07-06-11, 09:45 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If that doesn't work try spraying on some Armor-All or similar product, then wiping with cotton cloth or paper towel. The effect will be temporary but can be repeated as necessary. Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: