Gummy decayed carpet pad on hardwood floor

Old 01-03-01, 08:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I recently removed some very old carpet which had been placed over what turned out to be a beautiful hardwood floor. Now I do not want to recarpet over this beautiful floor. The problem: The carpet pad decayed and pieces of the pad are stuck to the floor like tar.- all over - I have considered just using tar remover but I do not want to damage the finish on the floor. If anyone has any ideas about what I could use to get this off it would be appreciated. It seems that floor refinishers would face this delimma from time to time. Thanks!

Old 01-03-01, 12:24 PM
Mary Moppins
Visiting Guest
You are so right about the refinishers facing this problem. I would definately post your question over in the wood floor section. It's for decorating but lots of quests are posted too.

Generally it takes a product with petroleum distillates in it to remove the stuff. Try some Goo Gone in hardware stores. Always test a spot first and rinse with vinegar and water. Don't use a lot of water on the floor tho or it will warp the boards.

Clean the floor only with vinegar and water. If the Goo Gone doens't work try some DeSolvIt - WalMart and janitorial supply stores. Shaving cream may also loosen it. Always test an out of the way spot first.

Mary Moppins
http://www.nopersonalwebsitesallowed.com

Last edited by mattison; 04-21-06 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-03-01, 12:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I did try some Goo Gone and had some success but at the rate I was going it would take years to get the stuff off. I'll post my query over at floors and try there and I'll also try the DeSolvit and shaving cream. Thank you for your help!

Old 04-20-06, 08:20 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Tar residue from Carpet pad

I recently removed a old carpet from our master bedroom and to my disgust found gooey tar in may places on my hardwood floor. I asked at a carpet place what would remove the tar and they suggested adhesive remover. That did not work. I tried Goo Gone and that just had a minimal effect.
I thought I would try Carpet Cleaner as a last resort. It worked great with minimal effect on the hardwood floor finish. The brand I used is Resolve Carpet Cleaner
Hank2
Thumbs up

Last edited by Hank2; 04-21-06 at 08:14 AM. Reason: NO ADVERTISING IN FORUMS. No telephone numbers allowed for 'consumer info centers' allowed.
Old 04-20-06, 09:16 PM
mineral spirits or xylene (goo gone) usually will work best. Best thing to do is to strip the finish off the underlying hardwood floor. By doing this, it should release the glue. After everything that has been stuck to it..it is going to need refininshed anyways,.

Old 04-21-06, 08:19 AM
H
Tar residue on Hardwood floor.

DOCDuck

We wanted to avoid refinishing the floor for now and that is why we were so pleased with the results we got from Resolve.

Hank2

Old 08-17-08, 12:57 AM
T
Nex Time You Install W To W Carpets Try This First

Go To Home Depot Or Lowe's And Buy A Roll Of Tyvex,
This Material Is Best Know As The First Class Postal Mail Bag, You Can't Tear The Bag You Have To Cut The Bag Open.
Two Days Before Your W To W Carpet Is Due, Start Laying Your Tyvex From Wall To Wall And Corner To Corner, Cut It In Big Box Shaps And Overlap Until Each Room Is Compleat.
When You Or Your Kids Or New Owners Want The Hard Wood Floor Back, Everything Comes Up Easy And The Floor Is As Beautiful As The Day You Made The Mistake And Covered It.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: