Pee Smell in Basement

Old 09-25-11, 09:53 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pee Smell in Basement

Hi Everyone,

I'm grateful to find this post. I have the "urine" smell going on in my basement. It's been going on for a while. Thinking it has to be mildew, two days ago I sprayed the carpet with distilled white vinegar (supposedly kills mold, used straight) and yesterday I steam cleaned the carpet with Nature's Miracle carpet shampoo- both to clean up the vinegar and to insure that any urine on the rugs (I have 2 cats who's litter boxes have been in the basement for years and I've had NO issues with them peeing on the carpet) is neutralized. I found some mold on the walls which I sprayed with a clorox cleaner. Well....I opened a window, turned a dehumidifier on and felt good about the change in smell as the carpet dried all day. I turned the dehumidifier off last night as I can hear it while I'm trying to sleep, and this morning my sister came downstairs from her upstairs bedroom (2 floors above the basement!) to find out "what that cat pee smell is!". The smell was STRONGER than ever! I have since turned the dehumidifier back on and it seems to help. My God...IS this mildew? Is there ANYTHING that can eradicate this smell and if it IS mildew, is there anything that can neutralize or kill it? I know as we get into winter, the smell will dissipate since it'll be dryer and such, but it's gross and upsetting to have to be dealing with this at all. It's unhealthy too. Any info would be great. Thanks so much...

Old 09-26-11, 11:42 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry, I've been burned too many times by tenants who claim their cat is not a problem, I'd start with them.

Old 09-26-11, 12:17 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Finished basements can be a challenge. Recent one with a terrible smell turned out to be mice inside the basement walls, what a mess. Mold is a possibility, but the cats top the list. If I remember correctly my daughter bought a spray that will identify urin spots. That will give you a clue if and where there is a cat problem. Once the urine soaks in, doubtful you will be able to remove it from the top, especially if there is padding. And once pets get a spot marked, they go straight back when needed.

Bud

Old 09-26-11, 12:38 PM
S
Group Moderator
Just remembered - urine fluoresces under black light, I'd try that.

Old 09-26-11, 01:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Mitch beat me too it. There are some good enzyme-based products on the market for eliminating the urine odors, but first you have to ID the locations. I've never tried the blacklight locating since any time I had an odor to eliminate I always knew exactly where the issue was, but I understand it works quite well.

Old 09-26-11, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
It does show under black light...but it has to be very dark..or you need one of the super powered CSI lights for it to show.

Old 09-26-11, 02:03 PM
S
Group Moderator
Yeah, we check only at night.

Old 10-02-11, 11:50 AM
T
update

Thank you for your input everyone. Well...I did the urine check and in doing so found that there appears to be no urine. BUT, but, but...found out about a whole new issue. I live in an area of NYS that was hit hard by Irene and one week to the day later, we had a tornado come through and had SERIOUS flooding and destruction in many parts of the county. I live on a hill so had no trouble with flooding but when I was doing all of this checking around in the basement, I found a whole section in the finished part where the rug was damp- all along one long wall and spreading out about 4 feet. I had NOT noticed it before because I had luggage and boxes stored against that wall and didn't think I had to move them as it's an unused part of the basement. There's also a lot of shadow there and the rug is dark. The cats don't even go there. SO...we DID get water in the basement and into the rug AND it's a perfect environment for mold and mildew. Ugh. I then treated that area with several things over several days: distilled vinegar, a thorough steam clean with cleaner and then, after more research, I made a solution of borax and water and sprayed that on the affected area including the paneling which meets the floor along the edges. (I read that borax kills mold and also prevents more from growing) I DID notice some brown/gold mildew in the creases of the paneling...My dehumidifier will not even shut off and it's on auto! So I'll wait and see. As I was spraying the affected area, the "pee smell" reactivated and was intense. I haven't smelled it in a few days and the next test will be to turn the dehumidifier off and see what happens. My next step is a service in this area called, "The Mold Man" - a guy who will come and treat the area, and the last step will be to take out the rug and the paneling, which I hope I will not have to do. This is time consuming and costly and I'm so tired of it, but I don't want to breathe spores ! I've moved the cats boxes too and they're fine with that. I've blamed the cats but it's not them! It's just a gross and annoying problem to have. Will post again with results.

Old 10-03-11, 10:08 AM
S
Group Moderator
Carpet can often be cleaned when wet but the pad underneath needs to be replaced.

We pull up the carpeting and block it up off the ground so we can blow air underneath it until it dries.

Old 08-23-12, 06:50 AM
P
I have the same problem

did you ever find a solution to your problem. We have the exact same problem. Revolting urine smell in the laundry room which, strangely, goes away in the winter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: