Cleaning arms on tan/brown leather sofa

Old 01-04-12, 11:32 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cleaning arms on tan/brown leather sofa

what is the best way to remove natural body oil from leather? Yes,I fell asleep watching TV and the oil from my hair has darkened the color making it look dirty. Tried dish soap and cloth, saddle soap, plain water, but nothing so far has worked to remove this body oil, and bring back the lighter brown/tan color. I am not sure what exact kind of leather this is, but it is high quality and quite soft. When bought a few years ago it was a custom order and we had at that time hundreds of colors and leathers to choose from. We have had cheaper leather sofas in the past that cleaned with simple damp wiping, but they were not the lighter tan color and also had almost a more leather/vinyl feel rather than the current one which feels of soft quality leather.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-12, 07:34 AM
L
Dark spot on leather sofa.

Hi equinox...I do not know what you could do to remove the dark spot beyond what you have already tried. Is darkening the entire sofa an (to reduce the contrast of the spot) an option. The application of neatsfoot oil tends to darken leather; however, you would have to avoid sitting on the sofa till the oil application cured since the fresh oil might stain clothing (especially light colors). Throw an old blanket over the sofa after application. The neatsfoot oil would also help maintain the soft feel of the leather and would also help preserve the leather. Good luck.

Last edited by lrig0550; 01-05-12 at 07:36 AM. Reason: add information
Old 01-05-12, 09:10 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
You've tried everything I would be willing to - leather's easy to mess up, I tend to hire a pro pretty early with leather.

Old 01-05-12, 09:20 AM
E
Thanks folks. I was pretty much already thinking the same thing in regards to bringing in a pro, but before that expense I just thought there could be a 'miracle silver bullet' solution that many don't know about, or some insider info on what the pros do differently.

Old 01-05-12, 09:30 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I feel both skilled and comfortable cleaning a lot of things, leather is not one of them