HELP! spilled about 1/2 gallon of paint on tile!

Old 09-21-12, 08:30 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HELP! spilled about 1/2 gallon of paint on tile!

I thought all my paint can lids were secured, until about 5 minutes ago when one rolled over and opened!!!!!

The paint is off-white latex, and it spilled about half a full freakin gallon all over my newly installed DARK tile!!! I could die!! I can't even think right now and I need some advice. I imagine time is probably of the essence.... How do I clean this up??

A million thank you's

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-12, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 642 Votes on 594 Posts
Wow, that sucks. I did that once on some carpet and I immediately went and got a rug doctor and just kept sucking it up with the hand upholstery tool. Whatever you do don't let it start to dry once you start to clean it with water. Once you get most of it up, have buckets of hot water, dawn dish soap and a scrub brush and a wet vac and keep putting clean water on it and scrub and suck. Rinse and repeat. U can't stop until it's clean!

Sad to say you might not get all the pigment out, but good luck!

Old 09-21-12, 08:46 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oh man... There's no way to do that quietly, is there? Kids are going to bed... Ok so is it easier to clean wet or dry? Latex peels off so easily in thicker applications and I've contained the spill, so is it a bad idea to let it dry and then start peeling?

I feel like such a fool

Old 09-22-12, 04:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Hopefully you got it all up while it was still wet. If not, denatured alcohol or products like 'goof off' or 'oops' will dissolve latex paint. Getting the paint off of the tiles shouldn't be a big deal but the grout is another story Worse case scenario is you'd have to scratch off the top layer of grout and regrout. Maybe a grout dye/paint would work.

Wish you luck..... we've all done stuff over the years that make us mad at ourselves but life goes on