Pinesol Damage?

Old 01-06-13, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pinesol Damage?

Hi all,

I've been using pinesol to disinfect a bathtub daily from someone who has had athelets foot. I noticed in the last few days the tub was feeling rough. I thought it was the old soap scum was finally coming off. When I looked at it last night it looks like the surface is coming off. This is the orignal tub from when the house was build in the late 40's.

I've been letting pinesol sit in the tub undeluted for about 10-20 min. and then rinseing it down the drain. been doing this nightly for about a week.

Did I just ruin my bathtubs finish? If i did is there a inexpensive way to fix it or do I need to hire someone to re-glaze it?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-13, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 64 Votes on 51 Posts
If it took the glaze off, there would be no inexpensive way to fix it.
Maybe someone has a suggestion for you, but I don't think so.
In the future, consider just spraying Lysol disinfectant on. Kills germs without doing any damage.

Old 01-06-13, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If it was an original tub installed in the 40's, it was most likely a porcelain on steel, and I doubt you could have damaged the porcelain with Pine Sol. I can think of less volatile things to disinfect it in spray form than letting Pine Sol sit in the tub. You may have a scum build up. Try scraping the sides and bottom of the tub with a plastic 1" scraper to see if it starts to come up.

If you can get it clean, it would be best to treat the feet rather than trying to do anything to the tub, but if you feel it is needed, use something like Lysol spray. A lot more potent and easier to clean up.

Old 01-06-13, 04:19 PM
I'll try the scrapeing thing in a bit. For the AF we treating it with meds and stuff. I wanted to make sure there was no re-infection from the tub.

There is deffinatly a raised, rough grainy build up and and the lower part that looks more matt than glossy. We did have a build up of soap scum, but I thought that I got all that up before the pinesol treatments. Could it be the soap scum is that thick and it's eating away layers of it?

I'll try and get some photos up so you can see what it looks like.

Old 01-06-13, 04:23 PM
Also if the finish is being stripped of how long to I have to re-glaze it before it's to bad to fix? Everything in this house that was standard when it was built is no longer standard. So putting in a new tub would be really expensive.

Old 01-06-13, 07:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Now some tubs have dull finishes on the bottom for footing, but I doubt a 1940's tub would have it. I have seen both sides of the fence regarding reglazing. One really good and another that peeled off in critical areas. So I can't advocate reglazing. Let us see the pix.

Old 01-06-13, 08:09 PM
The batteries died in my camera. Should be ab;e to get them up tomarrow latest. Thanks for the help so far!

Old 01-07-13, 02:09 AM
Got the camera working. Here are some pics. This was all smooth before i started with the pinesol.

Attached Images