How do I get scratches and swirls out of my Corian countertops?

Old 01-30-13, 03:35 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I get scratches and swirls out of my Corian countertops?

My kitchen and master bath have matching, black, Corian countertops. I guess whomever had the house built in 2004 thought this was a good idea (same person who thought black pedestal sinks, jet tub and toilets were fashionable...I've got some of that replaced with more to go).

My wife and I hate Corian and that is putting it nicely. Using whatever Corian polish products available at Lowes makes it looks okay (and greasy) but it doesnít last long. These counters, especially in the kitchen, look awful. The island is by far the worst. Scratches and swirls everywhere. We bought this as a bank owned home and it wasnít in mint shape when we got it by any stretch.

I want to eliminate the scratches and swirls. We have a large amount of countertop space, so replacing with a natural stone would be big bucks (at least 10k). Iím not willing to part with that kind of money on some countertops yet, so I want to restore these as best I can. Any suggestions/methods?

Old 01-30-13, 03:50 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
You need to use power sanders and polishers with increasingly finer grits until you achieve the desired finish. You can't do it with polish and a rag.

Old 01-31-13, 06:25 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Corian is plastic and it's soft, it scratches pretty easily. You're going to have a hard time removing the scratches and then keeping them away.

Old 01-31-13, 09:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 857 Votes on 790 Posts
Furd outlined the process to get rid of the scratches. You have to grind/sand/polish away the surface until you get below the depth of the scratches. If they are deep you could have to remove a lot of material to completely remove them. And, they will return unless you are quite careful.

Personally I'd use the simple polishes like you are to minimize their appearance and start saving up to replace the counters. I just don't think it's worth the effort & money to polish out scratches.

Old 01-31-13, 09:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Votes on 825 Posts
Any company the sells and installs Corian would be able to refinish your countertops and make them look like new. I'd contact one of them if I were you and get an estimate.

Old 06-18-14, 11:17 AM
D
I found a seam where two slabs had been bonded: one about 1/32" higher than the other. I spent a long time with a 1/4-sheet power sander and 320-grit paper sanding down the high side. Then I worked up through 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500-grit sheets. I was left with a finish that looked and felt like glass.

I liked it so much I tried to do the same thing to the rest of the counter. After 2 hours I was left with a much duller finish: It turns out that the scratches and wear from regular use are too deep to take out with a few passes of a power sander with 320-grit. I brought back the semi-gloss appearances with Countertop Magic but learned my lesson: It will take a lot of time to sand out scratches and then bring back a gloss finish!

Old 06-22-14, 11:31 AM
C
sanding Corian

The best way to sand out a Corian (or any solid surface) countertop is by using a random orbit sander hooked up to a vacuum cleaner. Start with 120 grit sandpaper to remove all scratches from the top before moving on to finer grits. Use 120, 180, 280, & 400 grits, wipe down with glass cleaner & dry between grits, & be sure to sand all areas both horizontally & vertically on each pass. Then use a red Scotch Bright pad on the sander to even things out. This will leave a low gloss finish which is easy to maintain. The way to prevent scratches is to not slide things across the top. In the 90s interior decorators were enamored with dark colors, so the surfacing companies brought out blacks, blues, dark greens & reds to satisfy the demand. As a fabricator I hated those colors because I knew they would be hard to maintain, & it seemed most people wanted high gloss finishes on them. The higher the gloss the harder to maintain. Now I get calls to go out & resand those tops much more often than lighter colors, which can go years without problems. My 2 cents

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: