how to fix this scratch on TV base? :(

Old 06-05-13, 10:09 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy how to fix this scratch on TV base? :(

Hi all,

I just bought myself an LG 55" TV last week. Now, I tried get rid of some sticky bit on the chrome base of the TV the other day by using a dish washing sponge 7 some washer liquid(don't ask me why i got this brilliant idea from =.="), and ARGHH i accidentally used the rough part of the sponge and scratched the TV's base as per pic below...such an idiot me!

Now my shiny TV has a dark spot which irritates me a lot (mainly because of my attention to details ). Any chance i could still fix the scratch (or my stupidity) or even just to minimize it so it's not so obvious to the naked eyes? Appreciate any ideas or input! Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 06-05-13, 10:19 AM
N
Man I feel your pain, I love my big screen! I do not really know much about shining up a plastic TV base but it is anything like the clear coat on a car.. You can use something called "hand glaze" I use this to lessen the appearance of scratches on cars so it should be just fine for a piece of plastic. I of course would recommend doing a spot test first. I hope this helps, good luck!

Old 06-05-13, 10:26 AM
N
I just saw your picture... I was assuming your base was black. After looking at this picture I can now tell you that you might need a whole new base. Start looking online because the black is there because you scratched through the finish coat.. Man what a drag, but the "hand glaze" might still help lessen the appearance. The problem is that you need to re-coat that spot. They sell "plastic paint" in spray cans called "plasti dip." Just take off the base and re-coat it, sure the color will might not be exact but at least it will be one solid scratch-less piece. Good luck, keep us posted!

Old 06-05-13, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Plasti dip is not paint...it is a rubberized coating for things like tool handles and the like. Not appropriate for this application. Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Rubber Dip Coating

Before buying a new base, unless it's really cheap, I would try painting with something like Krylon Fusion. Not sure if they make metallic type colors though. Works well, but surface must be free of any dust or oils. I use 93% isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) before spraying.

You won't ever buff that out or cover it w/o a complete repaint. You'll need to probably use some very fine grit sand paper to eliminate the scratches...like 2000 grit.

Old 06-14-13, 08:27 PM
Y
If it bothers you that much I'd honestly just consider getting a new base. I don't know of anything that could get the scratch off without making the base look awkward. A new base probably isn't all that much.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: