Driveway wood oil stain

Old 11-10-13, 08:57 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Driveway wood oil stain

Hello,

I've been having my hardwood floors refinished and the contractor spilled several drops of oil stain on my driveway. He told me I could use mineral spirits to clean it so I applied mineral spirits and cleaned up a lot of the stain using paper towels. He told me to wash it off the driveway with water so I used a hose to liberally wash the area. This morning I noticed a long brown strain on my asphalt going all the way to my sidewalk about 30 feet long. I also notice wet halos on my asphalt driveway where I used mineral spirits. What can I do to fix this? Should I put kitty litter where the stains are and where the mineral spirits are?

Old 11-10-13, 09:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Lacquer thinner is stronger than paint thinner, evaporates faster, and doesn't leave any oily petroleum residue on the cement like paint thinner would...and if needed, the lacquer thinner could be used to wash away the oily paint thinner and loosen up the stain pigments that have probably just been diluted, moved elsewhere, and dried.

You'd then probably want to take a bottle of dawn dish soap and scrub the area, and follow that up with a power washer.

Don't think kitty litter will do anything other than mask the stains with dust.

Keep in mind that solvents and soaps are hard on the yard, so you will want to rinse everything with clean water pretty well.

Old 11-10-13, 09:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 597 Posts
Did the stain get spilled on asphalt? or concrete? AND why isn't the contractor cleaning it up his own mess??
If concrete, lacquer thinner should help. Scrubbing with TSP afterwards will help tom remove the oil residue. If it's an asphalt driveway, I'd be inclined to let it dry well and then apply a coat of asphalt sealer.

Old 11-10-13, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Ahhhhhh... i didn't catch the driveway was asphalt! Lacquer thinner may dissolve the tar. and make a bigger mess. Id try tsp and scrubbing over solvents knowing that.

Old 11-11-13, 07:37 AM
I
Thanks I will try the TSP with a brush. I have some kitty litter on it and it did suck up some dark liquid. I rinsed it really well yesterday and the mineral spirit halos disappeared. After the water dried I put the kitty litter on the spots that look stained.

Regarding the contractor since they suggested I try the mineral spirits and we all know how well that went I think I will handle this cleanup myself instead of ask them to play around with it.

The drops of stain fell on the asphalt but when I washed it with mineral spirits/water it looks like a line of stain migrated all the way down the driveway past the cement sidewalk into the grass. I assume that the stain must have been really diluted by the time it migrated to these other places so it should be easier to clean the stain line.

Thanks.

Old 11-11-13, 08:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The problem with both the stain and the mineral spirits is it will 'melt' the asphalt .... similar to a gas or diesel spill on the highway. I'm not sure TSP will remove all the discoloring but I don't know what you could use that would be more effective and not hurt the asphalt.

How old is the driveway? when was the last time it was sealed? I'd deduct the cost of making your driveway right from the contractor's final check.

Old 11-11-13, 08:39 AM
I
I don't know exactly how old the driveway is but I think its less than 5 years old. I bought the house 2 years ago.

Old 11-11-13, 08:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If you've never sealed the driveway, now would be a good time to apply sealer [assuming weather conditions permit]

Old 11-11-13, 08:50 AM
I
I've never personally sealed it. You're talking about that black liquid that gets applied as a topcoat? Will the kitty liter pull out the mineral spirits from the driveway? I would be concerned that if I don't get the asphalt adequately cleaned it will break down from underneath the sealer.

Old 11-11-13, 09:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The kitty litter will pull some of the solvents out of the asphalt. For the most part, the solvents or fuel spilled on asphalt will evaporate and the asphalt will return to it's original consistency. Assuming the solvents didn't eat holes or cause depressions, the black top sealer will restore the finished look of the driveway.

Old 11-11-13, 10:55 AM
I
Good to know the mineral spirits will evaporate. So far the driveway does not appear damaged from the mineral spirits I used the other day. I just spent an hour pressure washing the driveway and sidewalk. The sidewalk is totally clean. I will have to wait until the driveway dries up to be able to assess if the stain is gone. Thanks for all of your tips.

Old 11-12-13, 01:40 PM
I
Looks like the stain is still there on the driveway. It came off the concrete sidewalk but not from the asphalt driveway. If I seal my driveway how often will I need to do it? If I seal it once just to let the color of the sidewalk be corrected and I don't seal it again will it look like crap after a couple of years? Thank you.

Old 11-12-13, 02:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Asphalt sealing is something that should be done on a routine basis as it will help your driveway to last longer. Some [mostly those in the driveway sealing business] say it should be done every year but IMO every 4-5 yrs should be fine. There is a difference in sealers with the more expensive ones generally lasting longer than their cheaper counterpart. Locally, we can go to the asphalt plant and buy sealer directly from them [you must supply the containers] which gives you a good sealer at a reduced price - something you might want to check into.

Old 11-14-13, 11:19 AM
I
Do you know of any good brands that I can buy at a home center that isn't made out of coal tar?

Old 11-14-13, 02:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't do a lot of asphalt sealing so I'm not very familiar with the different brands. As far as I know, all the sealers sold at the big box stores are water based [not coal tar] Like most coatings, price is usually a good indicator of the quality.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: