Granite stains all around the kitchen sink

Old 04-19-14, 10:33 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Granite stains all around the kitchen sink

Please see the two attached photos. Soon after my kitchen granite countertop was installed several years ago it developed this dark rim all around the sink, any suggestions on how to get rid of it? I've read plenty about granite care and local spot removal such as a red wine stain, but found nothing on anything like this. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated - thanks.

Attached Images   
Old 04-20-14, 06:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
Have you contacted your stone installer? I think you have a stain or water in the pores of the stone. Not a simple stain on the surface to be cleaned or removed.

Old 04-20-14, 10:18 PM
R
@ Pilot Dane, unfortunately my stone contractor went bankrupt about a year after my installation... And when I've visited other stone contractors all I got was a blank look... Indeed "water in the pores of the stone" is a very plausible explanation, any ideas of what I could do to get rid of it before thoroughly resealing?

So far, having been away for six weeks at a time made no difference thus the (capillary?) water won't come out and evaporate on its own. Brainstorming for ideas perhaps I should set up a hair blower to heat up one area for a long time and see what happens. Another thought is to somehow tape-and-seal powdered "speedy-dry" or silica gel in a test area. Etc. However, before I go try something dumb I sure would appreciate further thoughts on this - Thanks!

Old 04-21-14, 07:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
You could try heat lamps as I don't think the air flow from a hair dryer will help much and a heat lamp would use less energy. Also raising the temp will lower the relative humidity in that area so a desiccant is probably not needed. Hopefully no dirt, oil or soap residue or mildew spores got carried into the stone with the water as all that will be left behind when the water evaporates.

Old 04-21-14, 01:15 PM
S
I've seen granite cleaners that claim to help pull contaminants out of the pores. I'd try drying with heatlamps. If stain remains once dry, seal the countertop.
If stain remains after drying, find a high-quality granite cleaner, your mileage may vary. That granite should've been sealed before use. (not likely that granite installer would've done this for you). And sealer reapplied every 6-12 months, based on manufacturer's instructions.

Old 04-22-14, 12:45 AM
R
@ Pilot Dane & Seattle2k, thanks for taking the time to provide such thoughtful insights. Soon I'll report on two tests I started this evening as an attempt to discern if I have soap scum and/or embedded moisture... One test area was a (sealed) poultice of paper towels with a DuPont stone cleaner and the other was a taped/sealed application of (dry) pulverized cat litter. (Tomorrow I'll add a poultice using rubbing alcohol).... Later I'll try heat, etc. - Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: