How to best eliminate construction dust

Old 07-21-14, 06:45 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to best eliminate construction dust

We've had painters working in our house for the past several weeks, and demo is about to begin on our kitchen. Major remodel, lots of dust. What's the best way to filter the most of it out of the air?

Should we run the HVAC 24/7 and swap out the air filters?

Should we rent a couple standalone air filters?

Outside windows open or shut?

Final question: We're moving in soon and my wife wants to shampoo the carpets before the furniture arrives. Is it a waste of money to do this before we get the dust out of the air? I'm thinking the dust will just settle on top, so we can shampoo and then vacuum periodically, but thoughts?

Old 07-21-14, 06:55 AM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
IMHO I would use large fans blowing out the windows. I would not use the A/C furnace unit. I would vacuum the rugs periodically until all work is done then do a thorough shampooing. A sheet of plastic should be hung between rooms if possible to isolate the dust movement, then thrown out at days end. If you can avoid moving in the furniture it would make the final clean up a bit easier.

Old 07-21-14, 06:59 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No choice on move-in date. We've already bumped it once. Unfortunately, painters will likey be working right down to the wire, but hopefully they'll be done sanding at least a few days in advance.

Old 07-21-14, 07:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
You can partition off the kitchen with plastic sheeting blocking the doorways to the house. Close or block the HVAC vents in the kitchen and put a fan in the window and leave another window or door open for air circulation to blow most of the dust outside.

There are door kits just for closing off a room during remodeling. You can also do the same thing with plastic sheeting and overlapping sections to create a door flap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: