Removing "Steam" Messages from Bathroom Mirror

Old 08-03-14, 07:28 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing "Steam" Messages from Bathroom Mirror

We got a used mirror that we set up in the bathroom - mounted over the sink. However we noticed a phenomenon where if the mirror steams up - there are a letter markings that start to appear in the humidity.

I tried wiping them off with Windex but the next time the mirror fogs up - the "steam letters" shows again.

I think somehow this was written on the inner-side of the mirror (or something).

Do you guys have any tips on clearing this mirror for good?

Old 08-03-14, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Possibly someone used lipstick or similar to write with? You may have to wipe down the area with a solvent, like nail polish remover or acetone. It can damage paint or plastics, so don't let it run anywhere. Just dampen a paper towel with it and wipe the are that had writing.

Old 08-06-14, 12:26 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Update - I have tried wiping the mirror with both 100% acetone and 91% isopropyl alcohol as well - and those letters/numbers are still shown if the mirror gets steamed again. Any other suggestions?

Old 08-06-14, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Well, you could try using one of those anti-fog compounds like they have for cars. Rain-X makes one. Not the stuff that goes on the outside, it's for use on the interior surface.

Have you considered an Exorcist?

Hmm, just to be clear...these aren't some sort of manufacturers stamps that may indeed be on the backing? I just assumed you meant some sort of handwriting like "Have a nice day Sweetheart" or similar

Old 08-06-14, 01:19 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,289 Upvotes on 1,227 Posts
I would think a solvent would take care of anything on the glass but you could go mechanical as well and scrub it with Bon-Ami.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: