Is this a major concern?


  #1  
Old 10-10-14, 06:51 PM
T
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 13
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this a major concern?

Hi,

I occasionally get a "whiff" of a very odd smell in my basement. Out of curiousity, I shined my phone flashlight back behind one of the walls in the utility room and saw (see pic) this on one of the joists.

The smell that I smell occasionally seems to be coming from this area also. I am assuming this is mold, but is this "normal" and able to be cleaned. The issue is that the basement is finished and I don't know if it's anywhere else behind the walls. We had two inspectors who both advised there were no mold issues in the home, and we had it tested twice. Could this be a case of a just a tiny bit of mold in a few places that is not a concern, or should I be majorly concerned. Thanks!Name:  IMG_1550.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  36.4 KB
 
  #2  
Old 10-11-14, 04:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 48,072
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
It's possible that mildew got there during construction. Mold/mildew needs 3 things to grow; heat, moisture and a food source. As long as there is no moisture you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Do you run a dehumidifier in your basement?
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: