Smell in basement

Old 10-13-14, 02:03 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smell in basement

Hello everyone, I have a finished basement, over a year ago it flooded and a professional mitigation company removed the carpet, pad and some dry wall, fans and dehumidifiers were left to dry out the room. Over a course of a year I laid tile floor, fixed the drywall and finished the room up and there really wasn't a smell.

My dog decided to use the room as a bathroom, we got the problem under control now. but now there is a nasty smell that is lingering. I have been dealing with this for a few months now. I have tried bleach, baking soda, vinegar, soap, natures miracle, and natures miracle advanced formula and nothing will remove the smell. I have cleaned all the spots numerous times that he had peed and pooped on, but there is still this nasty smell in the air. If you go in the adjoining room, you really don't smell it so it is defiantly coming from the main room. Any thoughts?

Old 10-14-14, 05:51 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,288 Upvotes on 1,226 Posts
Have to narrow down the possibilities first - does it smell like something the dog left behind or like a damp basement or something else?

So you had a clean-up company out after the flood but I haven't heard what you did to address the water infiltration issue in the first place - can you elaborate there?

Old 10-14-14, 06:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
If you are certain it's a pet odor problem just search for "pet urine remover". There are many brands such as Nature's Miracle and other that use enzymatic action to break down pet urine & stuff to neutralize the odor.

Old 10-14-14, 01:29 PM
X
The flood was caused by a faulty sump pump, that has been addressed and fixed. The smell is a mixture of feces and urine, with a bit of dampness smell. I have tried to locate and eliminate the source with no avail. It almost smells as if there is fresh waste present, but I can't find any.

Old 10-14-14, 01:31 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,288 Upvotes on 1,226 Posts
Did the wall get sprayed at all? More common with cats, but....

Old 10-14-14, 05:53 PM
X
Not that I know of, none of his pee spots were anywhere near the walls.

Old 10-21-14, 04:20 AM
X
I just wanted to check in, my girlfriend bought this citrus cleaner that made with a couple different essential oils. I mixed it at the max strength with hot water and mopped the whole floor early sunday. Still today the smell is not there, and it just smells normal now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: