Mold/fungus growing behind bathroom molding

Old 01-26-15, 07:28 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold/fungus growing behind bathroom molding

The Molding next to toilet looked like it was rotting a little pulled out of the wall and there was a fungus looking thing growing in the space and on the wood. I removed it with gloves and sprayed mold and mildew remover on the area and threw molding out. Left it to air dry. A few weeks later this thing started growing. Its white/tan with some brown. Smaller than a golf ball.

What is it? How to get rid of it?

How do I add a picture??

Old 01-26-15, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,417 Votes on 1,310 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Not sure what you have there but I'm sure a picture will help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 01-26-15, 07:34 PM
P
Picture should be here I thin Name:  2015-01-26 21.32.48.jpg
Views: 4149
Size:  28.1 KB

Old 01-26-15, 07:37 PM
P
Another picture.. its growing sideways also Name:  2015-01-26 21.35.11.jpg
Views: 2797
Size:  31.5 KB

Old 01-27-15, 05:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
That is some sort of mold or fungus. Have you poked at the wood with a screwdriver to see if it's still solid? are you sure the wood dried out?

Old 01-29-15, 05:40 PM
P
The stud behind it is dry and solid. The space below to the left of it seems a bit wet and black... but no water spilled..

Old 01-29-15, 06:28 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I'm far from an expert on molds and fungi, but, if memory serves me, articles about the recovery after Katrina talked about not being able to kill these things once they set their roots into wood. The gist of the recovery process was to clean up (power wash) the surfaces and then encapsulate the wood to contain it from regrowing. Basically, once the roots penetrate deep into the wood anything we apply to the surface never reaches all of the roots. The solution is to replace the wood.

Again, not a pro on this, but looking at your pictures that growth appears to be emerging from under the tile floor. Having recently removed some old vinyl flooring and seeing how far the moisture had migrated from the source I can guess that under those tiles the moisture and roots of that fungi are well established under that flooring.

Just sharing what little I know, but I was hoping someone could tell us what that growth actually is.

Bud

Old 01-29-15, 08:46 PM
P
Bud you were right. Just went down into the crawl space. Looks like water/condensation had been slowly leaking from the large pipe below the toilet where it exits the subfloor. There are large growths of mushroomy fungus all around there. Like 4 or 5 huge patches of it. some of the floor boards into the bedroom look like they are wet a foot or 2 from the pipe like the water was absorbed out there. Disgusting. Didn't have my phone to take pictures.

I rent so I told my landlord. Unfortunately she might have to rip up a large part of the bathroom and subfloor.

Any tips to tell her?

Old 01-29-15, 08:56 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Only tip I can give is to do it right the first time. You don't want some plumber coming in and repairing the leak and scraping off what is visible and taking his money and running. Identifying that particular fungi might be important in so far as the need to do a major repair. Some are totally harmless, some we eat, hopefully not that one.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: