Basement water pipe burst - antimicrobial ?

Old 02-20-15, 09:48 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement water pipe burst - antimicrobial ?

Well it has been a cold week and unfortunately one of my pipes burst in the basement, leading to a very soaked carpet. At present the carpet, padding, and base boards have been removed so that I could put some fans and a dehumidifier in the basement. My question is, do I need to put an anti-microbial spray/powder down onto the concrete (will mold grow on concrete?)? The carpet and padding are being thrown out, and having a new one installed. Thank you for any input.

Old 02-20-15, 09:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
How deep did the water get? If it got to the sheetrock, it must be cut out about 2' high so mold can be removed or stopped. Mold needs food and moisture to live. Break the chain and it will die.

Old 02-20-15, 10:24 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
The carpet likely could have been cleaned and reinstalled but tossing the pad was the right call.

Just remember that everything has to be dry before you start putting stuff back.

Old 02-20-15, 10:27 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Chandler - upon removing the baseboards the bottom of the drywall definitely felt wet, so I was intending on taking 12" off around the entire room. When I came home to find the water, I did not see any visible pools forming above the carpet, or standing water, it was otherwise entirely soaked with small amounts of excess water starting to drain out into the garage, utility room, and side bathroom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: