Cleaning up Tefal Iron glide surface

Old 02-25-15, 09:34 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cleaning up Tefal Iron glide surface

Hi guys, im new here. I hope im posting this question to the correct forum category.

Name:  DSC_0214.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  32.0 KB
Name:  DSC_0215.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  40.7 KB

I have this iron, almost 2 years old. By time and maybe recent misuse, it has accumulated some black burnt stuff on the hot surface.
Results are that it sticks to clothes if the steam is off.

I know scratching it off is not the way as it will damage the coating that helps it not to stick. And i am afraid of using any sort of chemical. I dont want to ruin the coating.

If anyone could please advice the best way to clean this up??

Old 02-25-15, 09:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Teflon is impervious to almost all solvents. I would use Acetone on a cotton swab. You can check the cotton to see if the blackish color is coming off. If you don't have acetone, try some nail polish remover. (or try isopropal alcohol, if you have some.) Although if you have the low VOC nail polish remover, it probably won't work as good as real Acetone.

My guess is that unless you've been making toast on it, it might be plastic/nylon residue. Acetone will soften paint, so keep that in mind... choose a spot to work where you aren't going to get the acetone on anything else!

Old 02-26-15, 12:31 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Do you use spray starch when ironing? I ask because that is what it looks like to me. Before trying the acetone I would take a shallow pan and fill it with hot water about a 1/2 inch deep and then let the iron soak until the water is cold. Then using a hard plastic scraper (plastic putty knife) see if the gunk is softened, if it is then scrape as much as will come off and repeat the process. If that doesn't work then try the acetone and if acetone doesn't work step it up to MEK (methyl ethyl ketone). Be sure to work in a very well ventilated area when using the solvents and absolutely no smoking or open flames nearby as both solvents are highly flammable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: