Dealing with peeling sealant on granite countertops

Old 05-13-15, 11:06 AM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Dealing with peeling sealant on granite countertops

I'm going to preface this by saying that I am a new, first time homeowner so a lot of my questions might seem a bit basic but I am in my first forays in dealing with this type of thing. Hopefully that means my questions are easy to answer.

So upon moving into the new house I noticed that there is a peeling, clear residue on the dark marble countertops (I should have noticed this before buying, but frankly I would have bought anyways). Based on my google-searching so far, I'm guessing that it's peeling sealant that the previous owner used (there might be some amount of normal kitchen-grossness-residue, but I don't think that's mainly it).

I'm trying to figure out how to handle this. Do I sand it off, or is there some sort of solvent I can use? I assume I'll be resealing it once I have the old peeling gunk cleared off, but I'm not sure what the best way to do that without damaging the marble underneath is.

Thanks!

[NOTE: I erroneously referred to the counter as marble, but it is actually granite!]

ackrup28 voted this post useful.

Last edited by Lisa Carpenter; 05-13-15 at 12:19 PM. Reason: changing title
Old 05-13-15, 11:22 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Are you sure that the counter top is marble and not granite? Marble is used a lot for bathroom vanities but is relatively soft for a stone and therefore the much harder granite is used. Is it possible that you can upload a picture to help us see what you are dealing with? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 05-13-15, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,421 Votes on 1,314 Posts
Congrats on your new home and feel free to ask the questions.

You don't want to sand or use ANY type of abrasives on marble.

There is a solvent you can use. It's called methylene chloride. It is a highly noxious and toxic chemical. I don't really consider using a chemical like that a DIY friendly job. You may want to consider calling a company to at least have them do the stripping work for you.

Old 05-13-15, 12:18 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You know what, it is granite! I think my husband was just calling it marble (he knows as much as I do about this kind of thing) and that word got stuck in my head. However, the old house listing online does say granite.

Old 05-13-15, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,421 Votes on 1,314 Posts
I changed the title for you.

You don't want to use any type of metal scraper as it will scratch the surface. Don't use any acidic type products like vinegars or lemon as well as ammonia and bleach they can etch/stain the surface.

I'm pretty sure you would use acetone to remove old silicone based sealer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: