Oxyclean ****

Old 05-26-15, 02:46 PM
M
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Oxyclean ****

Just wanted to post and complain about Oxyclean and how their claims seem false. My daughter was playing in the yard for 15 minutes and got grass stains and dirt on her pant knees. I immediately sprayed the pants with Oxyclean pretreater, worked it into the fabric, and let the pants sit for 10 minutes. Then I immediately washed them with Oxyclean detergent in hot water. Most of the dirt came out, but the grass stains did not. Funny how the back of the bottle says it will remove grass stains, blood, wine, oil, etc.

Last edited by lawrosa; 05-27-15 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Removed wording......
Old 05-26-15, 04:31 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A simple mix of ammonia, water & a drop of detergent cleans better than most concoctions that are sold anywhere.

Old 05-26-15, 05:02 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
And on the subject of rip offs there is the Mr. Clean Magic eraser. They don't do anything a sponge wouldn't do and less than what a scouring pad will do.

From an internet search this may apply more to the ones in the newer red packages than the ones that came in a blue package.

Old 05-26-15, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 145 Votes on 113 Posts
I agree about the Oxyclean and in fact, when it first came out and was introduced, it was known as Hashipore (or something like that, spelled wrong but pronounced like that) and I bought it. Was the first made for TV product sold, and it didn't work. I did get my money back.
However, I do love the Magic Eraser. I find it gets things off that others don't, at least most of the time. I find the regular strength works fine. I did try the heavy duty and found it doesn't work as good as the regular. Go figure!

Old 05-27-15, 04:24 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Yep, and Billy Mays is laughing from 6 feet under. And yet, people still buy this stuff off of infomercials. Knives that cut tomatoes (never heard of such a thing), grills that cut the fat (I never had grease left in a pan after cooking a burger), and spray sealer in a can so I can finally drive my car directly into a lake (guess I can sell the boat now).

What is the phrase - A fool and his money are soon parted....

Last edited by czizzi; 05-27-15 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-27-15, 05:16 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
MM, just to pacify my curiosity, since the pants are basically ruined anyway, generously reapply the Oxyclean and set the pants aside for a day to see if time helps it do its thing. Then wash to see if there is any improvement.

As for infomercials it is difficult to tell. How about the "Fein MultiMaster"? It was first marketed through an infomercial and I gave it zero credit for quality. Yet, right here on this forum it is a highly regarded tool. Trying to take a new product to market cost a fortune, but if you have a really good idea there are profit sharing approaches through infomercials that can and have launched many products. How about Chuck Norris and his gym?

I'm still reluctant to buy products marketed that way, but I do try to follow reports on their performance.

Bud

Old 05-27-15, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
FYI all. ( By the way I happen to like oxygen based products )

Try to base your claims on your opinions...

Derogative and/or negative remarks, comments, opinions, claims and/or statements made in any forum topic, in reference to and/or pertaining to any products, parts and/or services rendered by manufacturers, companies, dealers, agents, sponsors, advertisers, service personal and/or representatives of such, will and/or can be subjected to editing and/or deletion.

Old 05-27-15, 05:33 AM
Received 319 Votes on 286 Posts
If you washed those pants in hot water then you've set the stain. It won't come out.

Ray, based on sales in our store, the eraser (including the knock offs) apparently work well. We have one particular customer who owns a cleaning service who buys them by the box.

Old 05-27-15, 05:52 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Derogative and/or negative remarks, comments, opinions, claims and/or statements made in any forum topic, in reference to and/or pertaining to any products, parts and/or services rendered by manufacturers, companies, dealers, agents, sponsors, advertisers, service personal and/or representatives of such, will and/or can be subjected to editing and/or deletion.
Wow, that's not right at all. Why should we have to worry about insulting millionaires? For example, there is a great product called Afta, if you want to leave the spots in tact & at the same time, get a headache.

Old 05-27-15, 07:36 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pulpo
Wow, that's not right at all...
You didn't think the rules are to create an inviting atmosphere for us MEMBERS, did you? ;-)
Name:  oxyrule.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  38.8 KB

Old 05-27-15, 07:46 AM
Received 319 Votes on 286 Posts
WOW! never noticed the ads. I have an ad block the prevents ads from showing. I know it's not nice (they do help pay for the expense of running this board) but I see way too many ads to want to help proliferate them.

Old 05-27-15, 09:57 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Norm,
Block away & don't feel bad for the advertisers. A popular forum like this with Googleads it's a huge cash cow and the overhead is low.

Old 05-27-15, 11:31 AM
M
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
[HR][/HR]
MM, just to pacify my curiosity, since the pants are basically ruined anyway, generously reapply the Oxyclean and set the pants aside for a day to see if time helps it do its thing. Then wash to see if there is any improvement.
It says to not let the product dry on the clothes.

If you washed those pants in hot water then you've set the stain. It won't come out.
I actually used warm water, not hot. Didn't realize that cold water removed dirt and stains better than hot water

Old 05-27-15, 02:29 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I gotta agree with Bud. I probably dislike the screaming hucksters more than most people but the TRUTH is that some products actually do work as advertised and many products work to a better degree than others.

I personally have never used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser but my sister swears by them. I personally have never found one laundry detergent to be much better than any other. I just finished off a jug of Oxyclean laundry detergent and for the most part it did a decent job of cleaning my clothes. On the other hand, it did nothing to the stain on a dark cotton blend shirt. Some products claim to remove old, set-in stains and I have never found that to be true. What I HAVE found is that despite all the claims to the contrary hot water does indeed do a better job of cleaning than does cold. My washing machine starts off with cold water, in fact it has ONLY a cold water connection, and then it heats the water to a user-selected temperature so in my case the stains are not "set" by washing in hot water. My machine is excellent in removing blood stains caused by my being injury prone.

Knives that cut tomatoes (never heard of such a thing), grills that cut the fat (I never had grease left in a pan after cooking a burger)
I have never seen the need for a special knife for tomatoes when any SHARP knife does the job. I DO like my George Foreman grill (a present from my sister) and it does indeed allow the fats to run out of the meats when cooking. Send me your address and I'll send you a can of fat from it.

Old 05-27-15, 02:34 PM
F
Moss, read the labels on the spot cleaning products. Enzyme cleaners will usually do a fair to good job on organic stains (grass) IF you get them on soon enough and allow them time to work. This may mean re-wetting the stain several times over a 24 hour period and also it being wet with the enzyme when you toss it into the machine. Generally, once an organic stain has set, especially in an organic material such as cotton, it is often impossible to remove.

Old 05-27-15, 03:52 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Send me your address and I'll send you a can of fat from it.
Furd, obviously my comments were tongue in cheek. However, meat will render its juices/fat regardless of what pan/griddle they are cooked in. It is a function of gravity and a slanted cooking surface that makes the GF grill unique. I have one, bought it at a garage sale for $5. Thought the kids would use it to make quick meals. It has been used a total of 2 times in the past 2 years. And those uses were in the first couple of days of picking it up. There is no control of the cooking process - you blink and your meat is overcooked. We prefer our Oyster electric griddle that not only makes great burgers, but pancakes, grill cheese, rubens and bacon. It also has a drain system that collects fat in a small tray underneath.

But to your point, I do have the Showtime Rotisserie - LOVE IT and would recommend it to anyone. Bought it for $10 at a thrift store on a whim. Best investment ever. So a shout out to Ron Popiel (at the expense of Billy Mays) for an excellent product.....Never did get one of his pocket fishermen rods , wanted one as a youngster.

Old 05-27-15, 04:16 PM
F
Yup, it is the grooves and the slanted surface that makes the GF work. Unlike you and your family I use my GF all the time, so often it rarely gets washed and put away. I use it for hamburgers, sausages, egg rolls, bratwursts and the like. Granted, it has no temperature control but it does have the minute timer, at least mine does, and with practice you know how long to let it cook.

My original GF was the one with replaceable grids and I didn't care all that much for it EXCEPT for making waffles, in which it excels. I tossed the other grids and use it exclusively for waffles now. And in your defense, my sister didn't like the regular GF either and that is why she gave it to me. Now, if only I had a bigger kitchen and a slave to keep it clean.

I also bought my Roto-Zip (the original) from an infomercial. Sometimes I wish I had one of the newer models but I can't complain one bit about the tool I have although one of the first things I did was to replace the cord with one about twenty feet longer.

Old 05-27-15, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Just a note...most stains aren't set by warm or hot water...it's the dryer cycle that will do it. And it's hard to tell if some stains have been fully removed when they are first taken out of the wash as the cloth is still damp. I don't know how many shirts I've cooked food in (wearing them...not actually cooking the food in them) and got grease splatters that were treated right away and washed correctly and looked fine out of the wash. Then they were dried and the damage was very evident. Probably more because hot grease actually changes something with the fibers. Most stains (wine, grass, clay, blood) if pretreated and then washed normally have always come out or with a second wash if needed. As long as they don't get dried first.

Never tried the Oxy type products, but I have to say, the magic erasers do work quite well for their intended uses.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: