Copper? Range Hood Restoring

Old 05-31-15, 11:31 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Copper? Range Hood Restoring

Good Day All-

My wide and I moved into a house that we really like last Fall and we have had nothing but bad luck since then. Most recently we had an old shut off valve under the kitchen sink that inadvertently get turned on, probably from our two year-old) and after about 2-3 weeks in finally came through into the basement. The damage was done nevertheless . Long story short, insurance is paying for most if not all of it. We will be getting new counter tops on top of it all since the marble we had of course broke upon them removing all of it. We are taking the opportunity to "update" or change some things (farmhouse sink, bead board back splash, etc) since items are being removed and replaced.
We have a somewhat unique setup in our kitchen (commercial stove and fridge). Above our range is what I think a copper exhaust hood that is rather large. That hood needs to be removed when we re-do the back splash behind it. The hood is rather greasy and lint/dust has of course become a part of the outer sides of it that is seen. It's not terribly ugly but I'd rather have it patina or restore it to copper color once again. (I am going to try and post pics when the come through). I can only get two pictures to work of course.
I am not real sure what to do with it because I'm deathly afraid of ruining it... I am hoping someone here has some ideas or suggestions..

EvanName:  IMG_0542.jpg
Views: 1824
Size:  30.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0543.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  31.1 KB

Old 05-31-15, 01:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 788 Votes on 725 Posts
If it's real, solid copper you cannot kill or hurt it. Start by cleaning it. Once the grease and dust is off you can better asses the situation. Some copper hoods are lacquered to keep the shiny copper or the factory applied artificial patina. Personally I like old school bare copper.

Give your hood a thorough cleaning then look at it closely to see if it's bare copper or lacquered (or some other clear coat). That will determine your next step. If it looks good once you clean it then your done. If, after it's clean you find that it's bare copper you need to decide if you want polished, shiny copper or a patina'd look.

Me, I'd polish it, keep it clean and let the natural patina emerge. You may want to clear coat it to preserve the shiny metal or artificially age or patina it then apply a clear coat to lock it in.

Old 05-31-15, 02:04 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What should I clean it with? It seems everyone has a different method...

Old 05-31-15, 06:05 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 788 Votes on 725 Posts
I use any grease cutting cleaner to remove the grease. I've used everything from 409 to Simple Green (an automotive cleaner). Then Barkeepers Friend for polishing the copper. Barkeepers is not the only option but it's an old school mild abrasive cleaner. It will leave a fine scratch pattern from your scrubbing so you can have some creativity in the pattern you choose.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: