mice clean up

Old 06-12-15, 09:16 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mice clean up

I live in Vancouver, BC Canada and am in need of an estimate. I just moved into this place and didn't take a good look at it. After I moved in I noticed evidence of mice. I set up traps and haven't caught anything. I think the mice are gone but there is urine stains and droppings throughout the kitchen which is extremely unsanitary. My landlord is forcing me to clean up mice droppings and urine because he cannot do it properly. The mouse droppings and urine are in the kitchen which is fairly small(60 square feet roughly). There is hundreds of droppings underneath the baking tray in the oven. There is mouse droppings and urine in all of the corners of the cupboards and drawers. There is more mouse dropppings and urine stains behind where the drawers sit. I need an estimate so I can charge my landlord properly for cleaning up the last tenants mess. I know this is an American website but if you could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Jake

Old 06-12-15, 09:49 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Before you can estimate the cost you need to know how big the problem is. In my experience with those little buggers, what you see for droppings is a tiny part of what they have been doing. They typically create potty areas for most of their business, often in walls or ceilings. If you think what you are looking at is nasty, wait until you find the rest.

Keep the traps out and try different baits. What are you using? I will sometimes place bait on a piece of wax paper without the trap to watch it and determine if it is being eaten. Chicken, peanut butter, and of course mild cheese and there are others. The good news would definitely be they are gone, but you know they have access so they can be back at any point. You will also need to find that/those access points and seal them. Fall is the typical invasion time.

As for cost and determining the extent of the problem, it would be good to request a couple of estimated and see what they say, both for cost and potential hidden areas.

Bud

Old 06-13-15, 04:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
On the economic side, it would not be out of order for you to receive compensation from your landlord in the way of rent reduction or abatement for a couple of months, as it will cost you out of pocket to do this. Totally untenable, IMO.

Old 06-13-15, 07:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 288 Votes on 251 Posts
Easiest way to do it in my opinion is do it on a time and material basis. Do the job and record your time it takes, minus lunch if required. Multiply that by the going rate of cleaners, then add any cleaning supply's you had to buy to complete the job.

Old 06-13-15, 07:28 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Everything that was said about cost estimation & compensation are correct. However you have to determine where they entered & seal it. An exterminator explained it, to me. If it's a house, walk around it. As soon as a mouse feels the warm air, from inside, he makes a sharp turn into the hole. That usually happens as autumn approaches. Since you are in Canada, it could be as early as the end of August. Seal everything that you find. Even if you are in an apartment building, I would still look outside. Then inspect the apartment itself. Just pretend that you are papa mouse, with a family.

Old 06-13-15, 09:31 AM
J
The place I'm living in is a big old house divided into several suites. I don't plan on getting rid of the mice completely. I think that will be impossible without the help of the landlord and neighbours. I think the downstairs and upstairs neighbour are hoarders and aren't too concerned with the cleanliness or pest problems. I just want to keep my place clean and mouse free.
Last night I did a big clean up. I cleaned all of the cupboards, drawers, behind the drawers, and under the oven with bleach and hot water. It only took me about an hour to do. Underneath the oven was the worst, probably over 100 mouse dropppings!
I've had mouse traps with peanut butter placed around the kitchen for about two weeks and haven't caught anything. I will try different baits tho. Its been a very warm spring and I think it will be warm until September-November so hopefully the mice will stay away. I don't plan on living in this place for very long. Its a real bummer, this place has potential to be a really nice home but most of my neighbours just don't care

Does anyone have an aproximation on how much I should charge him? It honestly wasn't too much work but I feel like I've been greatly inconvenienced by not being able to use my cupboards, drawers, and oven. He(landlord) hired a cleaner a week ago and they only cleaned a tiny portion of what needed to be done. Then he came in personally and attempted to clean up the rest and same thing. So I said I would do it myself for a price. I think its ridiculous to have to ask to for a clean and sanitary place to live, then have to do it yourself because he is incapable. I want to charge him a bit extra because of obvious reasons. I'm thinking $100? Maybe more?

Old 06-13-15, 10:00 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
A little late now, but given the mouse issue will still exist in the rest of the house you might want to read up on "Hantavirus". I usually associate it with hot climates, but I'm not well read on the topic, and should be.

Bud

Old 06-13-15, 03:01 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Recruit the other tenants. Have you discussed it with them? if that were me, I would proceed as if it were my house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: