Hardwood Floor + Steam Mop = Sticky Surface?

Old 07-15-15, 05:34 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardwood Floor + Steam Mop = Sticky Surface?

Today our nice new steam mop arrived. It's a model with a high/medium/low setting so we can be gentle on the hardwood.

After mopping, the floor is super sticky, but only when shoes make contact. The floors aren't sticky to the touch. So, I'm thinking it may have something to do with the "floor restorer & finish" product we use. Can you help me debug this?

Floor Info
Relatively new (2007) oak hardwood with a sealer. This wasn't a custom job, but just one of those standard wood floors that comes with houses. The floor is definitely sealed.

Pro Shot Industrial Renewing Floor Restorer & Finish [link]
We use this periodically and it helps make the floor look good again. It seems to hide scratches and basically just makes the floor look awesome.

So, I'm trying to figure out what the issue could be. The weird part is that when we touch it with our hands, it doesn't feel sticky. Only with our shoes on.

Does anyone have ideas or best practices when using a steam mop on hardwood floors? Or, a good way to make a scuffed floor look better periodically (that won't interfere with future uses of steam mop)?

Old 07-15-15, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 853 Votes on 781 Posts
The product is UL listed for slip resistance, so its not too surprising that its tacky with shoes on. The Q & A on the product at Amazon seem to indicate that the product may not hold up to steam cleaning very well. A few others complain of stickiness too.

Old 07-15-15, 06:07 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ah, good point. Thanks for the insight.

Do you have any favorite hardwood floor renewal/restoration product advice?

Old 07-15-15, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 853 Votes on 781 Posts
Mom always used Johnson's Paste wax and a small buffer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: