Clean the outside of a dirty toilet ?

Old 08-09-15, 03:21 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clean the outside of a dirty toilet ?

I don't mean a really bad toilet stain on the inside where its brown/yellow. I mean like on the back bottom end of the toilet on the outside. I have brown stains there and I cannot wipe or clean it. Its very hard as well. I guess you get the picture I tried using dish washing liquid a bit and that doesn't work and neither does soap. Its like moles in a way.

Does anyone have any tips? Its been like this for a few months and I couldn't clean it up... i figure its because it got stained a really long time ago. I did not know it was stained until a bit later as its right in the bottom towards the back of the toilet. I guess its called the base in the left and right base if that makes sense?

I heard of limeaway and also heard of vinegar/baking soda. But is that for the inside of the toilet bowl though? I don't have any issues with the inside, not much stain at all, its just the bottom of it on the left and right.

Old 08-09-15, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
The toilet surface is pretty strong so you'd need something that dissolved the stain.

You could try GooGone, lighter fluid, mineral spirits(paint thinner).
It really depends on what the stain actually is to what's used to remove it.

Old 08-22-15, 04:36 PM
J
This is how the bottom left side of the toilet looks. Does anyone know what i can do here? I can't just take a paper towel and wipe it because the stains are very hard. Its been like this for a while.

Attached Images  
Old 08-22-15, 04:54 PM
J
This is the bottom right of the toilet. This stain i cannot wipe off with hot water and bounty towel. However it isn't as bad as the other side.

At the moment, i have vinegar, baking soda and also some clorox powergel. I heard clorox would work for this? If so how do i do this. Do i need to use a used toothbrush? I read about that but i assume bounty towels could work?

Attached Images  
Old 08-22-15, 04:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
That looks like paint or spackle.

Try using some type of plastic scraper to scrape it off. You could also try a metal putty knife but try it GENTLY as you don't want to scrape/scratch the porcelain.

You posted a second picture while I was typing. Try spraying the Clorox powergel on and letting it sit for a while and then give a wipe or a shot with the toothbrush.

Old 08-22-15, 04:58 PM
J
Hi. Im pretty sure this is from me doing number 2 and those stains there from a while ago. The thing is i didn't notice it until later on and thus these stains got really bad.

Would clorox gel work for this though?

Old 08-22-15, 08:03 PM
J
How long do you want me to leave the clorox powergel on before i try to wipe it with a bounty towel?

Old 08-22-15, 11:14 PM
J
i tried wiping it with bounty after leaving it there for 10minutes... doesn't work

Old 08-23-15, 06:34 AM
Received 312 Votes on 281 Posts
Use Bon-Ami cleanser. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER CLEANSER. Bon-Ami is guaranteed not to scratch. It's recommended by American Standard on their tubs.

Old 09-03-15, 01:25 PM
J
Does this work outside the dirty toilet like in my picture?

Old 09-03-15, 06:47 PM
J
So that will clear those hard spots in the toilet?

Also someone here doesn't think its number 2. Im pretty sure it is and it didn't get wiped so it stayed like that after a while. Does anyone here agree on this?

Old 09-04-15, 12:07 AM
J
Okay so i used a sharp object and was able to remove a lot of the spots in the earlier picture. Now you see theres only that one spot now on each side. However i assume no way to remove that spot? If you touch it, its not flat at all. Basically its like a button if you know what i mean when you touch it?

Also my other issue is do you notice how on the floor where it surrounds the toilet, there is mold? Im not sure what the term for that is. Its basically yellowish and look like molded floor if thats the right there?

Is there a solution to fix this? I did use a sharp object and was able to scratch a few of it out similar to like those spots earlier on the back of the toilet.

Attached Images     
Old 09-04-15, 06:58 AM
Justin,

To answer your first question, Yes Bon-Ami can be used on the outside.

It could be old hardened feces. Possible. That mold your looking at is the silicon caulking that seals the toilet to the floor. I'm not a big fan of doing that. It's code in public and institutional environments. But in the house I would not use caulk. If the toilet should ever leak, you want to know about it. Sealing it will trap the water in the floor and it will eventually rot. My suggestion is you get a new toilet since you don't feel comfortable with the condition of this one.

Old 09-04-15, 11:24 AM
J
Hi so buy bon-ami then just leave it there for how long before i scrub it?

So bon-ami should defniitely get rid of those spots?

Old 09-04-15, 11:43 AM
You shouldn't need to wait at all. Bon-Ami is a bleach based scouring powder that will not scratch. However, since you tried bleaches of other types I doubt it will make any difference. But you can be sure that the area is well sanitized with all the things you tried. You say that you were able to chip off others like it. Get a putty knife and using a hammer lightly chip away at it.

Old 09-04-15, 11:49 AM
J
I have used clorox the liquid bleach. It does seem to help a bit. But bon-ami is very strong so it should probably do better?

Other thing but can i use this on sink or walls?

Old 09-04-15, 01:43 PM
Correction...Bon-Ami IS NOT A BLEACH BASED cleanser.

From the Bon-Ami web site:

Bon Ami :: Products :: Powder Cleanser

"But kitchens and bathrooms have changed, and need an updated cleaner. Bon Ami Powder Cleanser is the answer. This formula starts with vegan, plant-based cleaning agents made from coconut and corn oils, then adds feldspar and the even softer abrasive, limestone. We add a little bit of soda ash and a touch of baking soda. The result is a natural, effective cleaner for modern surfaces."

Old 09-04-15, 10:39 PM
J
Okay i cannot find bon-ami at all. So what are my other options? Only clorox and clorox gel i find. That and baking soda and vinegar....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: