removing paint from metal

Old 08-15-15, 08:29 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing paint from metal

does anyone know why a paint remover Shop Crown 1-Quart Semi-Paste Multi-Surface Remover at Lowes.com would have little to no effect on removing paint from metal? thanks

Old 08-16-15, 04:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Did you apply it according to the directions and give it time to work? I don't recall having used that particular stripper but generally the more caustic they are the better they work. Powder coat and epoxy will be harder to strip than regular paint.

Old 08-16-15, 07:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 790 Votes on 727 Posts
What type of paint are you trying to remove? If you are using the wrong type of stripper for the paint... that would explain why it is not working. Powder coat paint, which is commonly applied to metal parts needs a specific type of stripper. I use aircraft paint remover.

Old 08-16-15, 10:07 AM
T
Pilot Dane
I am not to sure what type of paint it is as I got the metal bar off craigslist and they had used for a clothes line post, and did not know what it was used for before that.

marksr
I did follow the directions and I was quite surprised that nothing happened the first time so I applied a few more coats and then took the side of my scrapper and went to town only to have a few pieces the size of a grain of sand fall off. I then decided to try some sand paper and water, and after 7-10 mins and a very sore hand I could begin to see the bare metal.

If there was rust and it was painted over or rust formed on the paint would that change how the paint stripper will work?

Old 08-16-15, 11:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't do a lot of stripping but I would think rust would make it easier to strip the paint rather than be a hindrance. I agree with PD that you need to try a stronger stripper. Another option would be to see what it would cost to drop it off and have it sand/media blasted.

Old 08-16-15, 05:40 PM
P
Group Moderator
If it's a post... large. I would use a wire brush in a angle grinder, sand or sand blast to remove the paint. Paint stripper would be OK for removing paint from a small part or something with detail but a post you can get rough with.

Old 08-16-15, 11:15 PM
T
So after spending about an hour and half using sandpaper and water I have noticed somethings about the bar:
1.The rust appears to mixed in with the different layers of paint
2. CLR does not appear to have a big effect on the rust
3. It looks like the bare rusted in some areas and then was painted over with some type of black paint.
4. After the black paint there is a green layer and white layer of paint.

Now I am wondering will the aircraft paint remover have an effect on this many layers of paint with the rust mixed in?

Also sense the white and green paint are not chipping or falling off do I really need to go through all this trouble to have my spray paint stay?

Pilot Dane

is the wire brush in the angle grinder going to be beefed up version of a wire brush in drill?
Here is a picture of the before and after let me know what you think
Name:  IMG_0256.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  51.8 KB

Old 08-17-15, 04:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It doesn't appear there was enough paint to start with for a stripper to be a viable option. I'd use a wire cup in a grinder. The cup is more aggressive than a wheel and a grinder is stouter than a drill. You will still be left with the pits in the metal.

If you aren't overly concerned with getting it down to bare metal [which is always best] you could sand it with 100 grit and then apply an rust inhibitive primer. I'd apply the primer with a brush as it will give you a thicker mil finish which means more protection. If brush marks are a concern you can always sand the primer with 180 grit when dry and then apply an extra coat with your spray can.

Old 08-17-15, 06:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
For a post like that I'm a fan of the brush on RustOleum oil based enamal paints for steel. I first use primer (white for clean metal and reddish brown for rusty metal) then top coat with the color of your choice. In your case I think either primer would work. The rusty metal primer might be helpful if you missed a bit or if you don't want to spend so much time removing old paint. After all they are just Craigslist clothes line posts.

Old 08-19-15, 07:21 PM
T
Well as I said before I don't know the types of paint on it as I got the bar off craiglist, but I did try your suggestion and the only thing that happened is the color of the paint got brighter.

Old 08-20-15, 04:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Denatured alcohol will dissolve latex paint [but not oil base coatings] I've never heard of rubbing alcohol having any effect on paint but suspect it would clean it nicely

Hotter solvents like lacquer thinner, MEK and acetone can dissolve old paints but a lot depends on the type of paint and how much solvent and elbow grease is involved.

Old 08-20-15, 04:03 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
If this is a well done powder coating then I doubt that any kind of solvent or stripper will remove it.

Old 08-28-15, 10:19 AM
T
so id deicded just to grind it down, anyways I have a new question do I need to be concerned about any rust on the inside?Name:  IMG_0325 copy.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  23.4 KB

Old 08-28-15, 11:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Since there isn't a lot you can do to remove the rust on the interior or the pipe I like to pour some used motor oil in it to coat the metal/rust - after the painting is done!

Old 09-01-15, 02:35 AM
Thumbs up

Yeah I agree with marksr, there isn't a lot you can do about the rust but to have it covered with used oil or you can also use CLR.

Last edited by americanwashing; 09-01-15 at 02:52 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: