Burned SS Pot

Old 08-19-15, 05:49 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Burned SS Pot

Started to boil on the stove a piece of meat in my SS pot and forgot about it; after 4 hrs when I went in the kitchen the pot was all black inside & outside, no sign of the meat inside the pot, and lots of fumes in the kitchen smelling burned fat. Luckily nothing worst happened

The stove is electric with glass top and the pot is about 8 round by 10 tall. I would like to keep the pot if possible and reading on the web they said to fill it up with water, dump some baking soda, let it boil and then simmer for 15 minutes. Did that and after some elbow grease the pot looks like new again but there are some black spots at the bottom. Tried sand paper but no luck.

Any idea how to remove?

Old 08-19-15, 05:57 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If the pot is stainless steel spray with heavy duty Easy-Off. The one that contains lye (sodium hydroxide). Let set for several hours then rinse. Wear heavy rubber gloves and eye protection. Do it outside or in a well ventilated space. Do not use on aluminum or copper.

Old 08-19-15, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bar Keeper's Friend has helped me out on many occasions like this. Use that and steel wool.

Trying to boil off the hard spots helps, and then elbow grease.

Old 08-19-15, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 144 Votes on 112 Posts
I use Bon Ami. Gets them clean without too much elbow grease.

Old 08-19-15, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Boiling with dishwasher detergent in the water also does a good job most times. Otherwise I just use an SOS type pad on SS.. If it doesn't come off with that, the metal has been overheated.

Old 08-19-15, 09:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Wifey burned one so badly once, I finally had to resort to sand blasting it. She burned something in my 9" egg frying pan, which is slick as a greased sliding board. Luckily all the seasoning released most of it in time with mild washing.

When she burns, I can smell it from the driveway. She just forgets and walks away, taking care of the dogs, birds, squirrels, etc.

Old 08-20-15, 03:53 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Thanks all, I now get to retrieve the three SS pans I have put away (hid) in the attic and see how your suggestions work.

Larry, I'm in the same category as your wife, not age related, as I have always been easily distracted. Add to my genetic lack of attention my increasing age and I'm hoping to find a stove with time/temperature controls. With the huge population of baby boomers developing these same "toasted pot" tendencies, one would think modern electronics would come to our rescue.

Bud

Old 08-20-15, 06:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
If none of those suggestions work there are Soctch-Brite pads especially for polishing metal and are what is often used to put the polish onto stainless steel. They are even used to remove the coloration and burning that comes from welding so there really isn't much they can't clean up on stainless.

Old 08-20-15, 07:06 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Very good ideas here, thank you all

After the cleaning, is it required to “prime” the pot before using it again?

Old 08-20-15, 07:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
I don't but if you want to search "how to passivate stainless steel". Note that that is for passivating the stainless and not seasoning it like you would for a cast iron skillet.

Old 08-20-15, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 144 Votes on 112 Posts
No, no priming. I just give them a washing in dishwater detergent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: