Cleaning grease from range hood?

Old 10-20-15, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cleaning grease from range hood?

I have a great range hood with little plastic grease cups. The trouble is that the grease is so concentrated it's like tar. Dawn for dishes won't dissolve it, nor will Greased Lightning spray. I've run them through the dishwasher but then my dishes get sticky. Any tips?

Old 10-20-15, 11:23 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Have you physically removed as much as you can, like with a knife or scraper or screwdriver?

After that, I'd try some mineral spirits but keep an eye on it, as it can affect some plastics.

Old 10-20-15, 12:08 PM
So far the most effective thing I've found is a strong ammonia solution made with boiling water. I'm lining the cups with plastic wrap for a "peel and toss" process next time!

Old 10-20-15, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 144 Votes on 112 Posts
While I'm not sure what plastic grease cups are, I would think if they're subjected to heat, the plastic wrap will melt and stick to the cups and will not be easy to remove. I'd think non stick tinfoil might be a better idea.?

Old 10-20-15, 02:26 PM
I'd think non stick tinfoil might be a better idea.?
I had foil in them before; the grease leaked thru, plus it makes the little cups hard to close and it looked terrible. See them in the back of the hood?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57691[/ATTACH]

I have more faith in plastic wrap. Check out THIS RECIPE for ribs baked in plastic wrap at 225°!

Attached Images  
Old 10-21-15, 08:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
I soak parts in a strong Greased Lightning or Purple Power solution. Because of the strength you must wear rubber gloves. But between the soaking and repeated scrubbing the grease will come off. You just keep wearing it down and take it off layer by layer until it's gone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: