Mold and asbestos tests

Old 12-25-15, 09:44 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold and asbestos tests

When we found out, we had black molds in master bedroom (inside the drywall that has bathtub water line to shower), master bathroom, kitchen.

The technician just used thermal infra-red camera to look around. He did not use hydrometer to check for moisture. When he ran the sample counts on first time, we paid $574.

During the clean up for mold remediation, we found black mold on baseboard, then we called for second time to check at laundry area. It did not have mold. He charged $195.00 trip fee. However, mold remediation guys found black mold in laundry areas.

As for asbestos test, he charged me $325 for 3 drywall samples. During the mold remediation, the restoration guys had to remove to water heater because it leaked, but they suspected the black plastic underneath water heater contain asbestos. He came to to apologize to me that he saw but did not test. He charged for $120.00 to test 3 samples. The result is asbestos.

Mold tests:
1st time: $574 (3 inside samples and outdoor). He did take a look at laundry area
2nd time:$195 (trip fee: he should drill small hole in laundry area and use a scope to check inside the wall)

Asbestos test:
1st time: $325 he should take sample from water heater and test
2nd time: $120 on the day of mold remediation. I had to pay; otherwise, the mold remediation guys stopped.

He has not used moisture device to check inside the property.

Please advise about this technician.

Last edited by Mike06; 12-25-15 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-25-15, 10:16 PM
I cannot say if they are honest or not. I know they take their job seriously under normal circumstances. They are held to high standards, and that's expensive.
I would never advise against these procedures, but you should stand by for some expensive tests and very expensive repairs. Remediation companies are paid to fix the problem, and they don't stop until the immediate area is to industry standards.
It's walking a tight rope and a good place to start is your homeowner's insurance.

Old 12-25-15, 10:44 PM
M
Handyone,

The mold remediation cost us $5742 (include final clearance tests). The owner of restoration told me that insurance would not cover because it was not sudden and accident. It was dry black mold. However, I filed it anyway. Attached are pictures for you to see. It is laundry area.

Name:  IMG_9188_Laundry.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  35.4 KB
Name:  IMG_9189_Laundry.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  30.9 KB

Old 12-25-15, 11:08 PM
I am not a remediation contractor, I'm only sometimes also at their mercy, waiting.
I have seen lodging costs alone far surpass your total cost.
On the other hand, I do not see a crisis situation there and nothing that couldn't be handled by a competent person with some bleach. This is no bad against the company, they do what they do.
I can't comment on the asbestos which is also manageable.
The insurance denial of coverage is not surprising. While catastrophic, this has been a problem for awhile and not an immediate flood due to a broken pipe or faulty appliance.

Old 12-26-15, 10:19 AM
M
Handyone,

Thanks for comments on technician and restoration company. I do not have any comments against technician. This is the first time we have ever dealt with mold.

Now, the repair comes after remediation such as drywall. In addition, we have to replace lot valves and green corrosion on copper pipes.

Mike06

Old 12-26-15, 11:02 AM
Actually, I assumed all the required repairs and wall repair was included in the $5742.
But that varies so much, it's hard to say.

Old 12-26-15, 12:14 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
In addition, we have to replace lot valves and green corrosion on copper pipes.
Why? Green corrosion on copper is not usually a problem. Are the valves leaking?

Old 12-26-15, 01:52 PM
M
Handyone,

No, $5742 is for mold remediation only. He has not given us an estimate repair. During the mold remediation, he said the water heater was leaking so he had to remove it. I had to take his words. Before removing water heater, the technician had to come out to have asbestos test on the black plastic. It turned out they were asbestos containing materials. It costed us $120 for the test and asbestos remediation for $350.00. The contractor said it usually costs $3500 for asbestos remediation. But he only charged us for $350.00 because he had his crews on protective suites and containing barriers. During the mold remediation, we were not allowed to get in the property.

I have 4 estimates:

1st: $2800.00 for mold remediation and $1300 repair. If I went with this one, it probably costed $6000.00 for everything. They give us 15% discount. But the company is only 2 years in business.

2nd: $3600 for mold remediation and estimate on repair after mold remediation (The technician refers this one to us). But the company is only 2 years in business.

3rd: $4100.00 for mold remediation and estimate on repair after mold remediation (The technician refers this one to us) We chose this company. The company is more 10 years in business.

4th: $7000-$10000.00 for mold remediation and estimate on repair after mold remediation. The company is more 10 years in business.

Ray2047,

No, the valves are not leaking. But they are old.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: