Pipe busted: Mold concerns and clean up question

Old 01-07-16, 12:55 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pipe busted: Mold concerns and clean up question

Hello all, first time posting in this category. I have a house that I rent to a young lady who decided to go on a trip outside the country for a week. She never told me she was leaving. Neighbor guy came over to get something as she had left the back door open for him. He didn't close the back door well enough and the door blew open. It was super cold and one of the supply lines going to the washer broke. Anyway, the water was probably pouring on the floor for 3-4 days. Most of the water was on the linoleum floor while some did get on the carpet in the other room. Should I replace the carpet that got wet or just try to dry it out? I'm not even positive just how wet the floor under the linoleum is as their isn't a cellar under that part of the house. I'm going to take down a few fans and see if that helps some. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks! Jack

Old 01-07-16, 05:03 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If the water ran for that long, you can bet that whatever sub floor is there is heavily damaged. Remove the linoleum, lift the carpet & inspect the sub floor.

Old 01-07-16, 05:07 PM
T
Received 39 Votes on 37 Posts
I wouldn't replace the carpet without a cause. The bigger issue as you suggest, is under the carpet. If possible, try to access the sub-flooring from underneath. Also, use a shop vac or similar item to dry out the carpet. Finally, consider getting yourself a humidity meter.

How about insurance?

Old 01-07-16, 05:28 PM
U
I called the insurance company and they said they don't cover water damage from a busted pipe. Currently I have 4 fans going and a dehumidifier. It seems like the neighbor guy has it fairly dry, but I have no idea what the sub floor looks like. Thanks all, Jack

Old 01-08-16, 09:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
We normally lift a corner or an edge of the carpet so we can blow a fan underneath. Any pad that got wet will need to be replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: