Is it possible to save door from dog urine?

Old 05-27-16, 09:20 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to save door from dog urine?

Hello,

Long story short cleaning out my Mom's house we discovered that she was letting her dog just pee on a towel in the laundry room. The towel (she would wash and change out) was against the back outside door and in a certain area of the door the paint has been removed where I would suspect the dog was peeing.

Is there anything paint, chemicals, I can use to save that door and to almost pee proof it? Like waterproof it. We are going to try to her to stop but she is set in her ways.

Thanks in-advance for any tips.
D

Old 05-27-16, 09:32 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Rather than the towel they make pee pads. They don't leak and can easily be folded up and thrown away. Once you resolve the needed repairs, buy your mom a big supply of pads. They come in different sizes and you can probably set up an automated delivery schedule so she doesn't run out.

I'm an old guy and have 3 mini-dachshunds that are very important to me. They go out most of the time, but when I'm gone or too sound asleep they use the pads. Sure beats the alternative.

During my thinking process before adopting the pads I considered a shallow plastic tub. Very shallow, just an inch or so to retain the overflow. May be a thought.

Bud

Old 05-27-16, 10:04 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
What color is the door? I'm thinking oil based sealing primer and then an oil based enamel paint but that's not a good choice if the door is white.

Old 05-27-16, 10:15 AM
O
Bud - That is a fantastic idea about the shallow plastic tub and pads. Thank you...

Old 05-27-16, 10:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
I'd use a pigmented shellac primer like Zinnser's BIN over the stained area. Oil base enamels are more scrubable and resistant to stains/odors than latex but I'm not sure I'd switch the type of enamel just for one door. I'd probably opt to repaint that door as an ongoing maintenance item.

I like Bud's suggestion for the pads

Old 05-27-16, 10:22 AM
O
The door does happen to be white. The door will need to be repainted as well. The outside paint is pealing off.

Thank you for tips...

Old 05-27-16, 11:00 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Latex enamel as long as the door is white. As Mark said, be prepared to start doing this on a regular basis.

Old 05-27-16, 11:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
I agree latex or waterborne enamel is preferred but it helps to know what type of enamel is currently on the door as latex enamel won't adhere well over oil base enamel. You need a primer to bridge the gap.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...latex-oil.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: