Possible wet insulation

Old 06-09-16, 07:48 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Possible wet insulation

My house was built around 2000 and i have a kohler jet tub on my 2nd floor.* I got my house several years ago and never really used the tub.* I ran it and stuff but never realluly used it.* Well, it got used last night and it leaked.* The 2nd floor exterior wall where the tub sets steps out further than the first floor.* 3 sides of fhe tub are exterior walls and the front has an access panel to the piping.* The center line of the drain sets above the centerline of my 1st floor exterior 2x6 wall right above a first floor window.*

Somebody was using the tub last night and i was on the first floor.* After a little, water started to drip from the top of the window trim.* I opened up the piping access and found some water.* Got it cleaned up on the 2nd floor, but my concer is possibly wet insulation in my wall.* It stoppped dripping once the tub was turned off and drained.* Do i need to worry about mold, how can i try to dry the wall cavity out without opening the wall up.* Not sure what to do.

Old 06-09-16, 08:52 AM
Received 311 Votes on 280 Posts
Just how wet was it? Insulation should be mold and mildew proof so just getting a little bit of water should not do any harm. Leave the panel open alert is dry out. Perhaps putting a fan in the opening can help dry it. Did you find the source of the leak? That should be your first concern.

Old 06-09-16, 09:27 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Pipes near or inside an exterior wall in PA can be an issue. But fiberglass insulation is noted for supporting mold growth. Not sure if I would tear into the walls just to dry it out especially since it was a one time event. Ongoing moisture issues like condensation or a leaky pipe that goes undetected are more likely to be a problem. Technically, you want it dry in 48 hours so keep it open as Norm suggested.

Bud

Old 06-09-16, 09:37 AM
Bud,

Thank you for the correction. I just did a search on mold and mildew with insulation. Apparently if installed properly wall insulation can be a preventative tool against mold. But if improperly installed it can contribute to mold and mildew. So now the problem is how wet is the insulation and can it be dried enough to do its job?

Edit...If the pipes are accessible through the panel, how easy would it be to put on pipe insulation. The foam stuff that is split down the length and wrapped around the pipe. That would prevent the condensation problem. But again is there a leak?

Old 06-09-16, 10:42 AM
M
Not sute where the leak was yet but i am thinking it was the drain. I never used the thing so this may be the first it ever got wet like this. It is not a primery use tub, more of a novelty. My immediate concern was seeing if i needed to open the wall up to check the insulation which i really didn't want to do. I will be checking for where the water came from, but its not a continuous leak from like a supply line. I guess what was worrying me, was if it got fully saturated and undetected mold were to start.

Old 06-09-16, 11:00 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
The problem with liquid water inside a wall is it flows in but must evaporate out. There is probably a plastic vapor barrier just under that drywall which would mean it has to dry to the outside which, depending upon the quantity of water, could take a long time.

When they blow in insulation they drill a 2" hole and patch it when done. If the suspect walls are limited to one or two stud cavities you might consider high and low openings and rigging something up, like a shop vac, to blow air between the two openings.

Bud

Old 06-09-16, 05:09 PM
M
Found the leak. It is not the drain, but are the fittings at the jets. It is a kohler tub and 4 of the 6 jets are leaking. By no means is it a stream of water, but was a little more than drops. More like steady drops. And i thought kohler tubs were good. One of the jets by the drain was leaking. The bad pert is, there is no way to reach the 2 side jets without removing the tub. Too tight to the exterior wall. That would be a major undertaking. I may call kohler up. As for the wall, a water restoration compay came out and did sense some moisture with their detector. They wanted to remove the window trim and drill a few 3/4" holes to circulate air, but is was not cheap. Talking to my insurance carrier, he kind of thought that its not worth opening the wall up for. My house where the leak was faces the sunset and gets real hot. I'm hoping that will help dry it out. Not sure what i am going to do yet.

Old 06-09-16, 05:26 PM
I know nothing about hot tubs. But I suspect the jet fittings are repairable/replaceable. So that should be plus. At least no pipe or pipe fitting are busted. They are usually glued. Calling Kohler will most likely refer you to an authorized dealer in your area. Be prepared to pay a service call charge and a repair bill.

Old 06-10-16, 02:40 PM
M
Its leaking at the glued fittings and i cant reach the one side with the tub in place. The restoration company that came today said he wouldn't open the wall if it were him, that it would dry out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: