Mold on subfloor concerns

Reply

  #1  
Old 08-13-16, 01:04 PM
H
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 11
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold on subfloor concerns

We are pulling up our carpet to get ready to have new laid this upcoming Wednesday. We bought some BIN Shellac to put down because of some places where the dog had marked. It worked great on those spots. But as we tore up the rest.. we found a couple of very small areas, like less than one square foot, that look a little black.. I think it's mold although I'm not 100%. When we found it, it was dry and the wood is not damaged at all. I saw someone use some kind of microbial?? primer on a floor with stuff like this before and I found Zinsser Mold Killing Primer. Do you think it would be okay to use this? I already used some of the concrobium mold remover on the spots and i'm waiting for it to dry. But I'm wondering if we should do that too? As it dries.. the spots are still there. I know it won't necessarily remove the mold stain. I did take a sponge to it and black is coming up on the sponge. The areas are tiny and they are kind on corners where the floor meets the wall... so hard to replace and the would is still in great condition. Just wondering if you think i'm doing the right thing here? I'm a little afraid to scrub the spots in case the concrobium didn't kill it.. since I got a little black stuff up hours later.

Another concern.. when we first found it, my husband just swore it wasn't mold and poked at it and took a brush to it and even smelled it.. ugh. That made me worry that he kicked up the spores all through the house.. and I was nearby when he did it. I have the Hepa air purifier going now and when I sprayed the Concrobium, I wore a mask and gloves. I hope we won't get sick from this though. I don't like to mess with mold.. I am always so careful. So mad at him for doing that. We have a 4 year old at home.. but he was in his room asleep at that time. The spot is in our hallway by our utility closet where the water heater is. So there aren't any vents in that area.. but I probably didn't enclose the area very well. Any reassurance here would be great. I'm paranoid about everything being contaminated.

Oh and I will add.. there was a leak in the area.. but it had been completely fixed, so the source of the problem has been taken care of. It happened awhile ago. It's completely dry in there.
 
  #2  
Old 08-13-16, 01:24 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 26,821
Received 853 Votes on 781 Posts
Don't be too concerned, we take in mold spores with every breath of air we breathe. People nowadays are hyper sensitive to the power of suggestion.
 
  #3  
Old 08-13-16, 01:34 PM
H
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 11
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I know this is true. I even remember helping a friend wipe down her basement that was covered in it after flooding with bleach and was less cautious than this. This was awhile ago. But my husband was pushing the dry stuff all around with his nose in it... sigh.

Do you think I'm doing the right thing though? Do you think the Concrobium will work well? Should I use the Zinsser Mold Killing Primer? I'm nervous I don't know if the Concrobium is working since it doesn't get rid of the stain and being a plywood subfloor.. it is kinda textured and doesn't come up well.
 
  #4  
Old 08-13-16, 07:05 PM
H
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 11
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My husband keeps dry sweeping over the area and we have done so much work around it and on top of it without using any protective gear at all. Makes me worry.. especially about the spores effecting my 4 year old. I've tried to keep him out when we are working.. but he's in the house and our house is small. I really hope we will be okay.
 
  #5  
Old 08-14-16, 04:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 47,942
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
As X said, generally it's not a big issue - especially not like the media hypes it. As long as no one has any respiratory ailments the odds are y'all will be fine.

If you post a pic or two we'd have a better idea of what you are dealing with - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html
 
  #6  
Old 08-15-16, 02:17 PM
H
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 11
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks! Well we already painted over it with the mold killing primer.. so hopefully it will be fine. The wood was solid. No one has had any issues with things like that. I do think it's hyped up too. I worry more about the spores in the air.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: