Question about things stored in a possibly moldy basement

Old 08-21-16, 07:28 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about things stored in a possibly moldy basement

I had some old toys and other stuff stored in plastic bins in my basement now we're moving to a smaller house and that stuff will now be stored in a different plastic container under my bed. Not sure if there was mold in the basement but if there was do you know if the mold would've affected the inside of the bins and what was inside. And would it be safe for health reasons to store in bedrooms now?

Most of the toys were inside ziplock bags inside the bins also.

I have ocd when it comes to things like this and I'm super paranoid about touching this stuff or having it near me.

Old 08-21-16, 07:53 PM
Received 312 Votes on 281 Posts
If the bags were sealed then I doubt you will have a problem. Unless you have a known allergy or sensitivity with possible mold. If you have any fears buy some orderabsorb and/or DampRid or any desiccant and put them in the plastic bins. You might even put some of those small packets of desiccant(silica gel) in the plastic bags. If your OCD is significant then I don't think anything you do will set you mind at ease.

Old 08-21-16, 08:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Mold is a simple, tiny living organism that grows wherever it gets enough water to reproduce. It eats the material it grows on. It would be pretty rare for it to actually grow on inorganic items inside your storage bins.... especially inside of sealed bags.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: