Mold remediation after flooding

Old 08-23-16, 10:25 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold remediation after flooding

My house recently flooded -about 21" of water.

First, a general question. Is paying a company like Servepro really worth the cost for drying and remediation? I have gutted the house, have quite a few fans running and plan to spray sporocidon. Do the companies do anything more? Do they do a thorough scrub or wash before spraying to ensure effectiveness?

My house is on piers. I'm addressing the interior moisture first and then moving the fans under the house. Is it ok to close up the walls and begging flooring when the interior moisture content in the wood is acceptable but the moisture under the house is still high? How do I know if I should be replacing the plywood subfloor?

Finally, the oven works, but got several inches of water. If I set it at 550 for a few hours, could that adequately dry out the insulation and kill any mold or should we just be replacing it?

Old 08-23-16, 11:29 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
One question is, did the mold get started? If things just got wet and you gutted the wet areas before the mold started growing your concerns are less. If you developed actual mold, then the remediation is more involved. I assume flood insurance is not involved here??

I'm not a pro, but remember some articles from Katrina. There the remediation was long after the flooring so well established mold, They were pressure washing all framing and then applying an encapsulation to prevent the mold from regrowing. Run this Google "fosters mold encapsulant" and do some reading on their products.

Bud

Old 08-23-16, 03:50 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
From what I can tell, the mold never got started. At least not on the floor and framing. I haven't pulled the oven yet, which is set into brick, and I also need to open up the drop-in fireplace. It's been a 10 days since the water receded and I got the drywall and insulation out within 4.

I do have mold on the drywall in my shop (detached). If there is none on the framing, do I still need to pressure wash? Also, I have water resistant drywall for exterior sheathing. Hard to spot mold on the black membrane, but should I be replacing that too?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: