Ortho (Scotts) Spray-Ette

Old 09-21-16, 03:55 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ortho (Scotts) Spray-Ette

I didn't know the Spray-Ette had been discontinued because I own three.
All three have leaks that can't be patched. When I searched the web for a
new Spray-Ette, that's when I realized it was out of production.

The Spray-Ette has saved me thousands of dollars. I must find a substitute!
It shoots a stream of water and chemicals at least 25ft. With a six foot step
ladder I can reach the peak of my house, which is 37ft.

If your home is clad with vinyl siding I'm sure that hideous green or brownish
mold grows on the side that gets the least amount of sun. For many years I
loaded the Spray-Ette with ordinary (and very cheap) bleach. Twenty minutes
of spraying and the mold is gone! You don't need expensive chemicals or a
pressure washer.

I own pressure washer. If the vinyl is covered with tree sap or bird poop a
pressure washer is the only way to clean it off. However, I will not blast my
home with high pressure water just to remove mold!

I can't find a replacement for the amazing Spray-Ette. If there is one, please
point my brower to the URL. (Ortho has other sprayers, but they are nothing
like the Spray-Ette.)

Thanks guys.

Attached Images  
Old 09-21-16, 04:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
IMO using a pump up garden sprayer is more effective and economical. It is not a good idea to clean the siding from the ground! Upward spraying tends to force water behind the siding Then you are relying on the house wrap or whatever barrier is behind the siding to keep the water off of the wood sheathing and/or from penetrating around windows and other openings.

As to your question, I've never used those types of applicators other than on yards.

Old 09-21-16, 08:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 785 Votes on 722 Posts
I too put my cleaning solution in a pump sprayer. That way you are not diluting the solution. You can put the cleaner on at the proper concentration then use a garden hose or pressure washer to rinse it off.

If you really must have that type sprayer just take a walk through the garden chemical section of your local home center. There are numerous lawn products like herbicides and insecticides that come with garden hose spray applicators.

Old 09-22-16, 02:26 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you marksr and Pilot Dane.

The stream coming from the Spray-Ette is like a gentle rainfall. As you know,
many insects are attracted to water. Insects fly through the stream unharmed.
I've used the Spray-Ette on a flowering trees. The water stream is so gentle it
doesn't knock the petals off the flower stem.

Yes, the Spray-Ette does dilute the bleach. You can buy "concentrated" bleach
in any supermarket or Walmart. The siphoning action in the Spray-Ette is very
powerful. It sucks plenty of bleach into the water stream. The entire cleaning
job takes 20-to-30 minutes. When it's done the mold is completely gone. Isn't
that good enough?

Guys, do you realize what you are saying about using a tank sprayer? I'm suppose
to climb up a ladder with a tank sprayer until I reach the peak of my roof. You
must be kidding, right? No contractor would ever drag a tank sprayer up a ladder,
unless he had a death wish!

The only logical and safe way to use a tank sprayer 37ft. off the ground is to erect
a scaffold. Please send a check for $5000.00 so I can rent a scaffold.

If I hired a contractor (for several hundred dollars) he would use a pressure washer
with a very long extension pole. There is no other way to reach the peak of my
house. Look in the Northern Tool catalog if you want to see pole extensions for
pressure washers.

Pilot Dane, I've tried other garden sprayers. The only sprayer that could ever shoot
a 25ft. stream was the Spray-Ette. I don't know why I can't find something similar
on the web. If it's junk, I don't care! Let's say I found a junk version of the Spray-
Ette that survived one or two house cleanings. I'd buy a dozen right now.

I wasn't kidding when I said the Spray-Ette saved me thousands of dollars. That's
why I must find a replacement. The design of the Spray-Ette is fairly simple. I've
got a decent workshop. Maybe I can make something similar in my shop.

Old 09-22-16, 03:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Good luck in your search. However the upward spraying of anything, as Mark said, will infiltrate your siding. I would never use bleach, anyway, as it can harm colors, plant life, etc. JoMax is a siding cleaner that works well. You may can rent an extension wand for your pressure washer with a curved tip, made primarily for gutter cleaning to accomplish this, too, safely from the ground. I borrow one from a friend when I need it. It reaches nearly 30' when extended, although it is quite unwieldy with pressure applied. If the product you seek shoots a 25 ft stream, it won't reach 37 ft by my calculations, so you will need to do some height work.

Old 09-22-16, 04:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
No contractor would ever drag a tank sprayer up a ladder,
unless he had a death wish!
No death wish but that's something I've done on a regular basis. Mostly cleaning wood siding in prep for paint but have done vinyl/aluminum also. I do not like the extension poles for pressure washers!!! They are too awkward and hard to handle when you have them up in the air and pull the trigger. When setting an extension ladder on vinyl siding you want to install those rubber 'boots' on the end of the ladder as it will increase the area touching the vinyl and decrease the impact to the vinyl. I've never used scaffolding when cleaning/painting a house unless another contractor already had it in place. Cleaning/painting doesn't warrant the time/expensive to set up scaffolding.

Old 09-22-16, 07:51 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chandler
I would never use bleach, anyway, as it can harm colors, plant life, etc. JoMax is a siding cleaner that works well.
JoMax is mixed with bleach per instructions for mold & mildew removal.

Rewinder,
I've run into the same issues on my house. I had some success with a product that came in a bottle with its own nozzle but it barely reached my 2nd story eaves at 20' and couldn't touch the gables above that.
I DID find a few spray-ettes (don't forget the hyphen in your search) on eBay and I bought one of the "vintage" ones hoping metal will perform & last longer than plastic. $8.

If it disappoints, I'm not out much.

Old 09-22-16, 10:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've heard it said you aren't supposed to use bleach on vinyl but I always have. Never had any issues from it although I do always rinse well!

Old 09-24-16, 09:34 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Impressed

With the spreader removed this shoots an 1/8" stream about 24' up my wall with my ~40psi well water. Not bad. My regular nozzle can deliver more water at the same height--but of course can't deliver chemicals at all.

This is going to replace my tree sprayer. I've been using a Hudson "trombone" sprayer for years that shoots quite far but is exhausting to pump/operate.

Old 09-25-16, 06:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
JoMax is mixed with bleach per instructions for mold & mildew removal.
Diluted. Much different than straight bleach. I'm just leery of damaging something with bleach. It isn't inert, so it can lighten things up somewhat, maybe beyond what you intended, plus being devastating to plant life.

Old 09-25-16, 06:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Bleach is my go to cleaner, it's cheap and effective. I never apply it stronger than 50% [diluted with water] You can cause damage to the substrate and/or vegetation if you don't pay attention. I never let the bleach dry on the substrate, always rinse well. It doesn't take much to protect the vegetation. Obviously no intentional direct hits and if you wet the vegetation before, during and after - damage to vegetation is almost non existent!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: