Getting ride of moldy smell from wood

Old 09-28-16, 10:25 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Getting ride of moldy smell from wood

I had a slow pipe leak that was dripping water into a basement wall for a long while (months upon months) until it was discovered. The drywall, insulation, carpet etc has been removed. The wood stud has some mold and wood rot at the bottom where it sits on the concrete, but otherwise structurally it is still sound.

I sprayed huge amount of bleach and hydrogen peroxide onto the rotted area, the area is dry. However, even after a long while, the wood stud in that area still has this slight faint mold smell to it.

Not too sure what I can do at this point to get ride off the smell. Blast it with dehumidifier for a week? Seal it with killz? Borax solution? chisel away any soft and rotted wood?

Thanks.

Old 09-28-16, 10:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Any solvent based primer [including oil base kilz] should seal up the odor providing the wood is sound.
Any decayed wood needs to be replaced!

Old 09-28-16, 11:04 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
wood rot at the bottom... structurally it is still sound.
This is a contradiction to me. I would replace the stud or sister it full length and remove the rotten portion.

Old 09-28-16, 11:43 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I seem to got the terminology wrong. The vertical studs are fine, a few water marks but otherwise solid, The rotted area is on the bottom plate, about half an inch to 3/4th of an inch deep, and spans about a feet or so. It was caused by water being trapped underneath the carpet and soaking the bottom plate. The part where it is nailed to the concrete floor is still very solid.

Would stuff like kilz cause any problems later on if small portion of it get on concert floor and wall? Some area of the bottom plate will be very hard to paint without getting some on the concrete floor and wall behind it.

Thanks.

Last edited by Dimeron; 09-28-16 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-28-16, 01:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
There shouldn't be any issues with kilz getting on the concrete, not sure what you mean about the wall unless you mean the backside of the drywall in the next room ??

Old 09-28-16, 05:05 PM
J
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
Post a picture of what your dealing with.
Was that bottom plate pressure treated?
Was the wall spaced out away from the foundation?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: