Nasty stove buildup

Old 10-30-16, 09:02 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nasty stove buildup

Hello,

I recently acquired a used gas range, and aside from it being filthy, it's in really good great shape. I have been able to clean the surface, the door, the handle and the glass on the range, but the cook top is something I can't seem to get clean.

It's an older (10 years or so) kenmore gas stove, and it has a power burner, a simmer burner, and two normal burners. First off, the gas gratings that the pans sit ontop of are covered in grease from the previous owner not taking care of it. They aren't banged up or damaged, but the grease is crusted on there really heavy and I'd like to remove it if possible, and get them back to a like new look like the rest of the range.

Also, the drop pans that go under the grates. They are little square shaped black flat pans that sit under the grate and catch all the grease. While two of these are in pretty good condition, two of them are again loaded with burned grease and other stuff that I'd like to get off, and was looking for the best way to clean them and get them back to hopefully a like-new look again.

I have tried soaking them in boiling hot water with some Clorox, I also tried soaking them in boiling hot water with Oxy Clean, and it did a somewhat okay job, but the two bad ones are still really encrusted. I attempted to use 'SuperClean', but it wasn't effective at all.

I then considered using some oven cleaner, and sticking them in the oven to get nice and hot and see if that helped, but wasn't sure if the extreme heat would damage the grates and the drip pans.

Advise please?

Old 10-30-16, 09:33 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You need old fashioned Easy Off. The kind that contains lye, sodium hydroxide. Just be sure there is no aluminum. It is still sold as Easy Off Heavy Duty but you may have to look a bit. The newer environmentally safe version (blue can) isn't going to cut it. Allow to soak for several hours. Follow cautions on label on what materials it shouldn't be used on.

You need to use heavy rubber gloves and use safety goggles. Do it in a well ventilated area.

Last edited by ray2047; 10-31-16 at 04:36 AM.
Old 10-30-16, 10:14 PM
For the grates use gas grate cleaner. It's a powder (usually in a pouch) added to hot water. You need a sink large enough to soak all the parts in overnight.
It cuts grease very good, and only minor scrubbing is needed after soaking.

Old 10-31-16, 03:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
The drip pans are replaceable, Give a model # and will direct you to several sites that sell them.

Old 11-01-16, 08:30 AM
J
When I was looking them up online, they are about $30 a piece. $120 for a piece of metal is something i'm not willing to spend for something that's over 10 years old. I'd rather just clean them the best they can be.

Old 11-01-16, 08:34 AM
J
'Just be sure there is no aluminum'. Are you referring to in the easy off cleaner, or on the parts being cleaned?

I have a huge metal tub that I was going to soak the parts in overnight, but not sure if leaving them in cold water for that long would reverse the effects that the chemicals have on it (itll start hot but will cool down over time, naturally).

Handyone suggested grate cleaner, which is a powder. I've tried looking for something like this in the past, but couldn't find anything. Where is this stuff purchased at? I tried using arm and hammer baking soda, but that didn't do anything.

For as messy as the stove was, I am extremely surprised with how well the oxyclean and Clorox (powder form) cleaned it, although it gave it a bit of a dull sheen to it. (Which I was able to get off by wiping it down with a moist towel). There's really only one grate and one drip pan that's really bad, the rest are just mild but i'd still like it to look somewhat decent instead of looking like I live like a slob.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Old 11-01-16, 02:00 PM
J
Drip pan and grate

I was able to find the parts to show you. The drip pans look exactly like this, except one has a much larger hole for the power burner and the other three are the same size.

Range Drip Pan | Part Number 316202501 | Sears PartsDirect

Also, here is the grate that I have.

Range Burner Grate | Part Number 316085206 | Sears PartsDirect

It looks like they made a different design for newer models as this is the only one I can find. Mine doesnt have the 'tab' on one side, it's got one side that's rounded on the corners, one side thats flat on the corners, and you put the flat side of two grates together to make one single grate.

Not sure what material they are made out of, but the grates feel like cast iron, so not sure if it's safe to use the easy off on it.

The aluminum drip pan should be fine, as the inside of the oven is made of the same material and it's safe to use on that.

Old 11-01-16, 06:56 PM
J
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
Any oven clean will get the heavy stuff off.
Any orange cleaner will get the light stuff off.

Old 11-01-16, 09:07 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Just be sure there is no aluminum'. Are you referring to in the easy off cleaner, or on the parts being cleaned?
Parts. Lye dissolves aluminum and Heavy Duty Easyoff contains lye!

Old 11-04-16, 09:55 AM
J
Doesn't matter, I can't use the stuff anyway. I've went and gotten three cans and none of them have worked. As in, they don't even spray. The last can I finally just told the store to give me a refund, and I went to a different store to get one. The nozzles have been DOA.

Old 11-04-16, 05:33 PM
Handyone suggested grate cleaner, which is a powder. I've tried looking for something like this in the past, but couldn't find anything. Where is this stuff purchased at?
Sears sells it for sure, probably other stores. It works so well, it's included with some high end ranges in the packaging because the grates are very expensive to replace.

Old 11-10-16, 09:34 PM
Try using trisodium phosphate (T.S.P.) to remove the grease. I used the liquid form to clean a heavily crusted deep-fryer and it worked like a charm.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: