fiberglass shower floor

Old 04-23-01, 01:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Can anyone suggest a cleaner to remove brown stains(assuming its dirt) from plastic shower floor? Floor has a non-slip bottom which is really hard to clean. I've tried many cleaners(comet,gel gloss,vinegar/baking soda,bleach,orange paste,etc.) and nothing will turn it white again!!Please help

Old 04-23-01, 10:12 AM
Visiting Guest
I don't know if this will help with your problem but I can only recommend what I use - in addition to a lot of elbow grease.

I have a fiberglass shower and I swear by Simple Green. I spray it on full strength and let it sit a while. I then use a brush in a circular motion. I purchased a Scum Buster by Black and Decker and it is a life saver for cleaning the shower. I use the white light abrasive pad to clean it. You may find, since the surface is non skid that one of the brushes will work better.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

ggggg

Old 04-23-01, 12:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks ggggg Simple Green huh? I'll give it a shot thanks!!

Old 04-23-01, 09:08 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fiberglass shower floor

Once the thin gel coat has been worn away by use or abuse, the substrate material is absorbent to everyday soil and soap scum. Applying foaming bathroom cleaners and letting them set is your best bet. You will probably never achieve the look of the original new surface. Acrylic is a far better product. The color is all the way through and there is no gel coat. Fiberglass has been marketed as the premium product for baths and other purposes. I think folks are just now beginning to realize its limitations.

Old 06-13-05, 09:07 AM
ladams1221
Visiting Guest
Wink Removing stains from fiberglass shower Floors

I was told by a sales person in the field that using cold-method spray oven cleaner would do the trick, and it works like a charm! I spray it on evenly, let it sit for 15 minutes, then use a scrub brush to clean it. Depending on how bad the floor is, it doesn't take too much effort. Used as a cleaner on a regular basis, it will keep your shower floors (and tubs) looking like new. (Our home is 6 years old, but I have also cleaned other people's houses that were older, and it cleaned up badly stained fiberglass floors there, too.)

Old 06-13-05, 03:22 PM
T
Most commercial oven cleaners contain sodium hydroxide, or lye, one of the most dangerous substances sold for household use. Oven cleaners can burn the skin and eyes. I have seen it eat holes in vinyl floor covering and clothing. Proceed with caution if you use oven cleaner. Oven cleaners are poisonous, give off toxic fumes, and can cause severe skin or eye burns. Lye damages paint, fabrics, metals, and other surfaces.

Old 10-19-05, 11:34 AM
jhubbard
Visiting Guest
Smile MagicEraser is the trick!

We just bought a fairly new house with one of those big Roman tubs with a non-slip surface. The tub is fiberglass. The owner remarked that they had never been able to get the bottom of the tub clean after it got dirty.

I read many messages on this forum this morning and was all ready to try the baking soda/vinegar/ etc solutions but decided to try the MagicEraser first because it required no mixing. Voila! In about five minutes and with minimal effort, the tub looks like new. There is only one nickle-sized spot that still needs further work. My husband and I were amazed.

I plan to put the Fiberglass Gloss on it now to seal it against future dirt (which shouldn't happen because I hate these tubs anyway!).

Old 10-19-05, 01:32 PM
basicly its a microfiber sponge...the thread count is key for the cleaning ability

Old 01-29-09, 09:14 AM
J
I've tried everything. Even used muriatic acid for swimming pools, with no luck. Oven cleaner is the only thing that worked. I sprayed on "Easyoff", let it sit for an hour. Then using a sponge with the teflon backing and very little elbow grease, the shower floor looks like it did when new!

Old 01-29-09, 12:30 PM
T
No fume oven cleaner is very effective for removing scum buildup on fiberglass showers. If gel coat is bottom of shower has been worn away with abrasive cleaners, grit, and etching of hard water minerals, getting the soils, oils absorbed by unprotected fiberglass tends to be impossible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: