Rust spots on Sabatier knives

Old 04-02-17, 09:27 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Rust spots on Sabatier knives

Got a batch of Sabatier knives as a wedding gift.
For a while now they come out of the dishwasher with small rust spots.
I used to be able to use a brillo pad to scrape off the spots but now they've become stronger and I can't get rid of the rust spots, especially those on/near the blade itself.
Any way to prevent or remove these?

Old 04-02-17, 09:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
For a while now they come out of the dishwasher with small rust spots.
Expensive knives should not be run thru the dishwasher.

I'm guessing these are not stainless but carbon steel knives ?

SOS pads can be a little abrasive. Those green ScothBrite pads will scratch less.
You can use a ScothBrite pad and WD40 to remove rust. Then clean with soapy water.

There may be other methods but you don't want to use anything too abrasive.

Old 04-03-17, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Even stainless steel can rust in a dishwasher. As stated, no quality cooking knives should be put in a dishwasher...EVER.

From the Shun website...
Stainless steel knives can still develop rust. Rust is caused by moisture left on the blade. Rust is not a manufacturing defect and is not covered under warranty. To remove rust from steel, we recommend a product named Flitz. Flitz is a blue gel which helps remove rust, stains, and corrosion from steel. If you decide to use the product, use it only on the areas directly affected by rust. We recommend not letting the Flitz sit on the blade steel for any length of time. After applying the Flitz and removing the rust, please wash your knife thoroughly with warm, soapy water, completely dry it with an absorbent material cloth or towel, and finish with a light coating of cooking-grade oil on the blade and handle cap of the knife. Specific instructions on how to use the Flitz product are available on the Flitz container. Our instructions are not intended to either supplement or surplant the directions of the Flitz manufacturer.
Also this...

Micro-corrosion, which can result in tiny chips or missing pieces in your knife’s cutting edge, can occur because moisture is left on the cutting edge. Moisture weakens the stainless steel and promotes micro-corrosion. If moisture is left on the cutting edge repeatedly, even normal use in the kitchen can result in small chips in the weakened sections of the edge. To guard against this, wash your knife immediately after use and dry it very thoroughly with an absorbent cloth or towel. Please take extra care to safely dry the sharp cutting edge of your Shun, keeping your fingers away from the edge.
And finally this...

We recommend that you do not wash your knives in the dishwasher. Here’s why: The dishwasher can be hard on all your dishes, but it can be especially hard on knives because they tend to get knocked around during the cycle. Conversely, sharp knives can put “dings” in your dishwasher, too. In addition, when you wash different grades of metal together, brown spotting may occur on the higher quality metals (such as Shun blades). These spots can be difficult, if not impossible, to remove. Finally, many dishwashing detergents contain corrosive agents, such as citrus extracts. Not only can this cause unnecessary wear on your dishes, it can also cause pitting or corrosion on your Shun knives.

For all these reasons, we recommend that you protect your investment by handwashing your knives with a gentle dish soap.
'nuff said.

Old 04-03-17, 10:42 AM
M
wow, had no idea, I'll clean them off once with WD40 and if they clean I'll just wash/wipe them after each use, thanks

Old 04-03-17, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I have about $900 worth of Shun knives and the only time they've seen a dishwasher is from across the kitchen sitting in their block.

Old 04-03-17, 01:45 PM
M
good to know, no more knives in the dishwasher

Old 04-04-17, 11:46 AM
C
Received 129 Votes on 103 Posts
I'll add to the no knives in the dishwasher. No knives in the sink! I have a set of Wusthof knives that I no longer allow my wife to use. She would use them and then toss them in the sink with dirty dishes.

Instead, I bought an inexpensive set for her to ruin.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: